Analog controller plugin for RawTherapee

Hey guys. I stumbled upon analog controllers for Lightroom and was wondering if this sort of thing could be made to work in RawTherapee. Perhaps with a plugin?

Actually, I think that @houz has a midi controller he was hacking at for support in darktable at some point. Maybe he can lend it forward once he’s done to hack in support on RT as well?

I actually contacted the Pallette team to ask, and while they said “Yes!” to sharing some information, they never did. Those things are pricey, and I think generic midi support would be much better.

@paperdigits @patdavid I was referring to midi controller support whatsoever, mostly regarding RawTherapee. Something like; is there a way to link a certain knob to a certain slider in RawTherapee, and perhaps have a push-button linked to a certain effect or have it cycle through them.

From your replies I take it that the RawTherapee aspect is the simplest of the issues and I take it that the linking/scripting procedure can either already be applied to whatever names each of the sliders already have in the source code, or can be added in.

Ah, the hardware in the photo you posted is not midi, at least not that I’ve seen.

I don’t think the code is that easy, plus someone needs to be willing to do the work :wink:

@paperdigits I’m sorry :stuck_out_tongue: I’m really not very knowledgeable about analog controllers. I was just interested in whether there is a means to assign a link between RT sliders and a physical interface and if yes how complicated that would be.

I mean sure, it’s not a dealbreaker, but looking at it and picturing it, it does seem like a lovely way to edit. :stuck_out_tongue:

I totally agree it seems like it’d be quite a welcome addition to my workflow, especially since I already have some midi gear!

1 Like

I don’t see how midi knobs and sliders will work that well. I think a better analog controller is a mouse! It can be any slider just by clicking and moving around a bit! Similarly any button. I think a more interesting idea is voice control, used to invoke the main functions of the s/ware. So for RT, a chunk of editing might go like this -

1. double click the raw file as usual
  2. Say “EXPOSURE COMPENSATION”
  3. RT brings up the exposure tool but you don’t need to concern yourself with that. Just move the mouse left or right. You don’t need to look where the mouse is, it wil just work, you don’t need to take your eyes off the image.
  4. “WHITE BALANCE DAYLIGHT” - RT goes to the white balance tool and sets daylight. You don’t quite like it, so,
  5. “TEMPERATURE”
  6. RT “selects” the temperature slider and you move the mouse, but you don’t need to take your eyes off the image.
  7. “WAVELETS ON, FIVE LEVELS” and so on, I think you get the idea.

Not suggesting every possible adjustment would need to be voice controlled. The voice recognition would have to be quite snappy of course. I like the idea of keeping gaze on the photo rather than tools / controls.

1. maybe “BEST” :wink:

Sounds cool! Definitely something that would be nice to have implemented.
However for sound sensitive environments, such as offices, cafes and so on, I think the analog devices have a place.

“SHARPEN THE REGIONS I LIKE AND BLUR THE REMAINING PARTS” would be a great command :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

So you fancy implementing some local adjustment tools or layers? Yes please!!

@heckflosse @RawConvert LocalLab - Local Lab build - #249 by jdc

Yes, thanks, I’m aware of this and sometimes use it.

Hey folks, it’s 50% there! -

COPY (copy)
PASTE (paste)
CUT (cut)
SELECT_ALL (select all)
SAVE (save | save file)
SAVE_AS (save as | save page as)
FOLDER (create folder | new folder)
MINIMISE (minimize)
MAXIMISE (maximize)
FULLSCREEN (full screen | fullscreen)
TAB (key tab | tabulation | tab)
ESC (escape)
MENU (main menu | open main menu)
ACTIONS_MENU (menu | open menu | close menu)
CLOSE (close program | exit)
CLOSE_WIN (close window)
ZOOM_OUT (ward | shrink | decrease | zoom less)
ZOOM_IN (approximate | enlarge | raise | zoom more)
… and dozens more commands implemented here -

Ok, I know it’s not that simple, but food for thought maybe?

I foresee the masses shouting at their computers “make this photo great!!” Yikes…

5 Likes

Aren’t things already a good way along this path?! Software can now pinch someone’s style and apply it to your own photo - GitHub - junyanz/CycleGAN: Software that can generate photos from paintings, turn horses into zebras, perform style transfer, and more. (I think previously linked to on Pixls)
Last year people toiled to get the Masashi Wakui look, I imagine the above could do it at a stroke.

Saw the “Quick & Awesome workspace” here Macphun introduces Luminar Neptune with Accent AI filter: Digital Photography Review and it reminded me of [quote=“paperdigits, post:16, topic:4258”]
make this photo great!!
[/quote]

I just saw that article too, but I couldn’t figure out what that app does.

Sooo… is there some way to assign each tool a keyboard link somehow :stuck_out_tongue: ?
If yes, I’m sure we can hack (Linux at least) the OS to somehow link some external controller to it.