Canon EOS 6D Mark II profile ?

:grinning: FYI:
X-Rite ColorChecker Passport has been ordered!
Now all I need will be:
1: A sunny weekend
2: A room with “Tungsten” lightbulbs…

2 Likes

@PhotoViking do you own pr have access to any other cameras?

I still habe my old EOS 60D and my wife has a EOS 1300D

Could you also shoot the target using the 60D and the 1300D?

Absolutely no Problem!

Using the same Lens? All -1/0/+1 ?

Use your best lens, though it doesn’t really matter if it’s modern.

We want the best-exposed shot without clipping of the target. Since the camera histogram does not show the raw data’s histogram, it is a good idea to shoot bracketed.

Usually users’ first attempts at shooting the target result in failure and the photos have to be re-shot - please review the guide on the day of shooting, and maybe take a look at the mistakes other users have made when shooting to avoid doing the same, e.g. Terrible colors from Fuji X-T20. What is wrong ? - #16 by Morgan_Hardwood

DP Review have stopped publishing curve information and now use test shots only. The curves can show what is going on more clearly.

I’d guess that they have stopped due to certain manufacturers complaining. The curves show what they manage to stuff into a jpg - usually all of the information that is usable in a raw file and some. Nikon have been some way ahead of Canon at the dark end for a long time. The 80D was the first attempt to catch up. I’d say that in terms of truly usable dynamic range there probably isn’t much difference if any now.

John

FWIW…!

@RawConvert Interesting. Useful site. I compared the 80D with the D7500. Not much difference but I’d guess Canon are saving higher iso for later or decided not worth doing.

The flattening you have posted on the 6DII might have something to do with fake low iso settings. It might be worth looking at noise performance as well if that isn’t included in the graph.

Off topic but also looked at 80D compared with an OMD E-M5 and E-M1. As I own both I know that the E-M5 is better on noise, not much though but I have used it to take test shots at ISO 25,600. I’d say that there was more range than 3 stops in the shot if that is what the vertical axis is. Ok needed noise reduction and not suitable for all shots due to that. On the other hand maybe there was only 3 stop range.

Lucky me. I bought the 80D and not for dynamic range.

John

Scouts honour: I promise to read the instructions before shooting!
My colorchecker just arrived - and one more question comes to mind:
Should I do AWB - or should I set white balance manually (now that I have the colorchercker_)…

Now just pray for a sunny day in southwest Germany tomorrow… :wink:

We need your RAW shots, so WB is not an issue. :wink:

2 Likes

Now that you mention it… :smile:
(Why didn’t I think before posting?)

1 Like

Don’t feel bad, it is a very common behaviour. (This very post of mine being an example.)

1 Like

@floessie, @Morgan_Hardwood, @paperdigits
O.K.: A rainy weekend in my corner of the world - but I had a go at the “Tungsten” - Shots. Biggest problem: Finding lamps with Tungsten - type light bulbs…
Found 2 small ones and did the best I could, hope it is good enough. :smirk:
Maybee you could have a lok at my “Tungsten” - output:

Cameras: Canon EOS 6D Mark II / Canon EOS 60D / Canon EOS 1300D
Lens: Tamron 28-75 / 2.8
All shot in AV with f8 / ISO 100
Bracketing -1 / 0 / +1

1 Like

@floessie, @Morgan_Hardwood, @paperdigits

I finally got around to have a go at “Daytime” - shots.

Same as my try with Tungsten:
Cameras: Canon EOS 6D Mark II / Canon EOS 60D / Canon EOS 1300D
Lens: Tamron 28-75 / 2.8
All shot in AV with f8 / ISO 100
Bracketing -1 / 0 / +1

Have also been saved to the Dropbox - folder!.

If not OK I would appreciate a hint…

Great, I hope to get it included in RawTherapee 5.3.

Thank you - I owe you one!

@PhotoViking thanks to your color target shots, the DCPs will be in RawTherapee 5.3:

@Morgan_Hardwood Thank YOU; glad I could make a small contribution! :smiley:

@Morgan_Hardwood @PhotoViking Thank you to everyone involved in adding support for the Canon EOS 6D Mark II. Raw images taken with my camera in RawTherapee v 5.3 are looking good. The same raw images had a strong purple cast when converted with dcraw.exe.
Happy to contribute more reference images if needed. I have an x-rite ColorChecker and passport.

1 Like