Cinematic Color in RawTherapee

Hi all,

Any PP3s or Channel Mixer combinations that will produce cinematic colors in RT?

I took a look at RT’s Bundled profiles and couldn’t a green-blue one.
I’m looking for something that makes images look like this one:

From here:

Perhaps Film Simulation - RawPedia will be of some help. Though you could get a look similar look by adjusting the color temperature, exposure, and contrast.

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Color_Toning
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Film_Simulation

@paperdigits the White Balance tool should not be used to create a certain look. White Balance should only be used to set the correct white balance. Looks should be attained using the other color tools. This is because some tools require that the white balance be correct to work optimally, e.g. parts of Color Toning, Vibrance and perhaps Wavelets and Retinex and maybe others too.

1 Like

Orange/teal ftw! :scream:

1 Like

@paperdigits, Thanks.

Which Hald CLUT Film Simulation do you recommend for the green-blue cinematic look?

@Morgan_Hardwood and @houz,

Thanks for the tips!

As @houz mentioned, it’s another derivative of orange/teal grading.

It’s touched on in this post:

And is very similar to the recent request for emulating another photographers color toning:

https://discuss.pixls.us/t/achieve-the-masashi-wakui-look/

In particular, I went into a bit more depth on accomplishing this in this particular post on that topic (for darktable, but the theory is the same):

Achieve the Masashi Wakui look - #11 by patdavid

You’ll want to push the shadows and midtones to a blue/teal/green (adjust to taste), while pulling highlights to either neutral or push orange into them (even in your example the skin tones appear to trend orange). Perhaps some overall desaturation as well to mute the colors would help.

In RawTherapee you can drop the saturation a bit using the slider in the Exposure menu (and/or adjustments to a Tone curve can help).

On the Color menu, I’d look at either the RGB Curves or the Color Toning menus to being your adjustments. On the Color Toning method, you can choose “Color Balance Shadows/Midtones/Highlights”. Adjust from there.

To illustrate, I found a picture of a gorgeous model in some neat looking european city:

With that image all I did was apply Color Toning in RawTherapee:

To arrive at something like this (not exactly like yours, but the theory is the same more or less):

The thing to remember with cinema color grading is that they’ll often work with grading based on luminous zones in the image (shadows/midtones/highlights) in general, then apply masking as needed. It’s an art. :slight_smile:

Hi. I suggest to download multiple sets of LUTs, which I specially adapted for Rawtherapee. Among them are such well-known as VisionColor Osiris, and very high quality, which is very good mimic film profiles converter RPP. You will find a few different options t that will show excellent results in one click)). Sorry for bad english, I’m from Russia.
RPP: http://yadi.sk/d/O0isNS4OmezGB
VisionColor OSIRIS: http://yadi.sk/d/j2VYF4cimcE5T
Creative Commons License
This work by RoSky is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

1 Like

a couple of sets

Creative Commons License
This work by RoSky is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

1 Like

@patdavid,
Thanks for the excellent tips.

@Rosky,
Thanks, I will give them a try.

@Rosky,
The first two links are kind of slow when downloading. But I was able to try the last two and they work well with RT.

Pat’s suggestion is also a great one since we can save the color settings to a PP3.
Pat always has great examples on how to do things.

Thanks again to both of you. :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

@Morgan_Hardwood I read the whole page several times and didn’t realize it was a white balance tool.

@paperdigits which tool are you referring to? Could you say that again? I don’t understand what you’re trying to say.

I tried RoSky’s VisionColor OSIRIS, and RPP as well. They are great. I think all these Hald CLUT Film Simulations should be with the rest of RT’s HCLUTs, where they can be found.

That might be possible if @RoSky was willing to license them freely for use/distribution?

Yep, @RoSky will have to agree.

Of course! My pleasure!

Could you specifically state/link the license you are releasing them under?

Creative Commons is a good option, if you’re not sure. They have a license selector to help guide you in choosing one. I might suggest either CC-BY or CC-BY-SA as good options. :slight_smile:

@RoSky I will go through them and add them if they’re good. Low priority though, got a lot on my plate right now…

@Morgan_Hardwood Sorry, I read the page I originally linked to, Film Simulation - RawPedia, several times and did not realize that it was about the white balance. It may be that it is just over my head, but when I read that page it sound like something similar to photoshop’s match color tool, which is something I’d like to have.

The Film Simulation article is unrelated to white balance. The second paragraph on this page is what I was referring to: White Balance - RawPedia