Cropping is difficult to use in RawTherapee

Hi,

I second the more automated crop behavior, at least as an optional config!

The fewer clicks or interactions the better (duh), and almost all images need cropping (or at least the majority). If we want a fast workflow for handling many images, if we have default presets for most other parts, but crop mostly can’t be, then a few clicks in crop become a high percentage of the total work…for clicks/interactions that can easily be programmed away.

Suggestion similar to what others have mentioned:

• When switching to another tool after cropping (no “enter” needed, or an optional enter or similar way to “apply”), please add a config that enables an automated ctrl+f and clicking the “hide cropped-area-button”, which would then work as most other tools for those that prefer that
  • When enabling the crop tool, let there be corners that are already drag-able (removing the need to first draw a rectangle, again, unnecessary interaction in many cases)
  • For bonus points, let there be an area in the image (outside the crop as in another popular tool) to adjust rotation…the slider is pretty sensitive, and you first need to hit it, but when dragging in the image, it’s easier to get a “fulcrum” further away from the center of rotation (in the middle of the current crop) making it easier to adjust small angles than fiddling with the slider or manually testing different numerical angles until satisfied.

(Background for my reasoning: I work with radiology image software, where radiologist salaries are huge and being able to do the work with less clicks/time is key…I understand the goal may not be the same here, but this behavior is outrageous from my point of view, users all over the world spending time on this on every image…and if history is the reason, at least add config for it so users can choose, or let go of the old ways and admit that other programs did this part better and allow yourself to change!)

Especially now that many are dissatisfied with the Lightroom subscription model and are looking for alternatives, we’re missing an opportunity to get a chunk of the fleeing userbase.

Thank you!

1 Like

Perhaps you or your workplace would be interested in sponsoring that work?

1 Like

For me, I can live with how RT handles cropping of the image, but I would like to see the cropping factor along with the absolute dimensions. Of course when the final format is different from that of the initial image this would be something like an ‘equivalent crop ratio’. And I think we can go even further showing the resulting focal lenght, from a perspective point of view.

What were these open source developers thinking when they implemented this outrageous tool for free, wasting radiologists valuable time like that? :man_facepalming:

4 Likes

Guys, sorry for my snobbish attitude, I understand that it is done for free (and the radiologist using our software are not us…we’re just paid lowly software dev salaries =))

Being a developer myself until recently, reading ggbuthcers comment I can understand it’s not just a quick change with the bugs mentioned, so suggested an implementation that works by more or less automating already existing (properly functioning?) funcationality. And now having a product owner role now I can understand that there are many more aspects to consider than just changing a default behavior all current users are used to, so suggested it be added as a config (although I would vote this behavior be the default one).

That said, I still think this should be a higher priority compared to for example adding new exotic wavelets or ways to affect color space. Those are important too, to some (relatively few?) users, but crop is something every user does on almost every image…making those tools as efficient as possible would be a top priority, at least as we work.

So why don’t I do it myself you’ll ask I guess…aside from the minor point of getting used to a new language, but more the plattform/application and dev environment itself, I can barely manage my own life now between small kids and other obligations, but trying to be helpful by pointing out what should be an obvious priority from my perspective.

But I apologize that expressed myself in a patronizing way, I should have known better!

3 Likes

Have you tried FIlmulator’s cropping?

I put rather a lot of effort (months of thought) into making it work quickly and easily.

1 Like

I also find the cropping tool frustrating. It doesn’t work the way I expect. Most suggestions above are in line with mine but to reiterate.

• After crop action only the active area should be visible.
  • Guides should only be visible during crop
  • Unless crop is active the image should behave as if only the crop exists. Zoom, browser, edit.
  • Dragging the crop should be dine using modifier key.
  • grabbing the crop mark should be easier. Bigger click target.
1 Like

The rawproc crop tool is a child of expediency as much as anything; I was writing my image library and I just needed to see how the ApplyCrop() method worked. The big decision was to have a separate window for the tool, and to have it update the display after every modification of the crop rectangle:

The tool is in the Parameters pane, lower left. The crop rectangle is pretty simple; it has two resize targets: the yellow one maintains original aspect, and the red one is free-form. The crop rectangle can be dragged around the image by mouse-dragging anywhere in the rectangle. That’s about it. Oh, the Parameters pane can be drug from the dock and made larger, which I occasionally do in order to have a bigger crop tool with which to work.

Of note about rawproc is that it is a successive application of tools, one working on the previous tool’s output. In this case, the crop tool is the first one in the chain, working on the opened JPEG. The next tool added would be working on the cropped image. When the image is saved to a file, the product of the last tool is used.

I cobbled together the crop tool mainly to get something going, but I find it works really well, so I’m keeping it. It’s not a precision tool, nor does it have the rich selection of aspect ratios, but it gets the crop job done.

@CarVac: I must say, I really liked your cropping tool in Filmulator. Well done!

2 Likes

I like the crop tool like it is and don’t understand why to change it.

2 Likes

As I see this, the tool works well, and using programs with slightly different approaches is also not a problem, when all of them are made reasonably well.

I’m a long time user and have no problem with the crop tool except one minor gripe. I don’t like that it opens with the ‘lock ratio’ selected. I’d rather see it set to free, but I’ve learned to live with it as is.

I guess you are using a default profile. Change the ratio to OFF and save this profile.
Hint: The crop tool has to be activated to save the new setting. Then switch the tool off and save it again.

1 Like

I agree with neilpho ;
When I want to crop, I’m using another software (FastStone)).
Same thing too adjust horizonability.

Why specifically?

Because it is more easier to use faststone or CNX2 for that.

For exemple, one can move the shape in the picture with the mouse, and with “enter”, we have the new picture on the screen…and only the new.

I’m sorry, but now, i’m using RT only for pictures very hard to work because its tools are very good, but for all days, I’m using Darktable 2.4 or CNX-2.

The “default” mode rarely give me a good picture at first time, while my other softs needs only very few adjustments for that.

Oh… I forgot to say that RT is slow to work now…

Same in RawTherapee.
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Crop

I’m not affected by your personal choices.

That statement is too vague to be meaningful.
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_write_useful_bug_reports

<< That statement is too vague to be meaningful.>>
Yes indeed, but now, as I use it not often, I was waiting for another upgrade.
I tryed to follow the very very long tread about that, but I disconnected : too long, too complex ; I’m photographer, not programmer… and my english is too poor.

About the croping, I didn’t know because I didn’t read the tutorial… Cropping is a basic process and normally one should not to search anything.
Most of other software use the mouse in order to move the croped area.
So, it doesn’t matter… you know, I use ON1-effect, Nik Software, CNX-2, FastStone, GIMP, PhotoFiltre and Darktable for my work ; every have one tool or more that I prefer at the others and that’s enough for me.
I almost regret my post …

deleted