darktable 2.4.0 released

Packages for various linux distributions are ready. Find out more here:

Debian, Fedora, openSUSE and Ubuntu right now.

2 Likes

It is also available as flatpak at Flathub.

1 Like

French-speaking people can enjoy a detailed article (much more than just translating release notes) about this version’s new feature: http://linuxfr.org/news/darktable-2-4-0

3 Likes

Hey, everybody! I installed the flatpak version in Ubuntu 17.04 (can’t use 17.10 because it’s unstable on my system).

OpenCL support is marked as “not available” in the options menu. Does anybody know how to enable it? nvidia-modprobe is installed.

Do you have the nvidia drivers flatpak installed?

Edit: I didn’t see OpenCL listed as a dependency.

Hey, thanks for following up. I have the drivers installed normally. I tried switching to the 387 drivers from 384, which crashed my system.

After reboot, I can’t open Darktable anymore. It says “an error has occurs while trying to open the database […] the database lock file contains a pid that seems to be alive in your system: 3” After deleting the options folder, I’m back to the same issue - no OpenCL.

Googling NVidia drivers and flatpak doesn’t tell me how to install them using flatpak.

I’ll go back to Darktable 2.2 until there’s a PPA for 17.04 or I have time to switch to Linux Mint. :-/

@Matt_Eastwood

Why bother with flatpak when the Ubuntu PPA was updated on Christmas Eve already!!

Merry Christmas!!

PPA is great if you use Ubuntu, but flatpak runs a lot more places and is sandboxed.

I suppose there will. Our OSX packager is on vacation over the Christmas days.

Is the haze removal module hidden by default in 2.4.0? I’m asking because someone at another forum was interested in trying out dt mainly for this feature and they couldn’t find it without assistance. I think it’s a good idea to favourite the new, stand-out features so that the first-timers can easily get to them. Alternatively, maybe the stable versions should include a simplified and a full workspace preset in the “more modules” area? Just some random musings…

Thanks for the developers. I used git pull and got the 2.5.0 with Santa Clause logo. Awesome.

that is git master.

Line

does not contain DEFAULT_VISIBLE, so yes, it is not visible by default, you’d need to use more modules to make it visible.

Thanks for confirmation, I wouldn’t know where to look and how to understand it once I looked at it :slight_smile: But now it makes perfect sense.

Hey, thanks for pointing me to the unstable PPA, I had only looked at the stable. Unfortunately, it does not contain a package for Ubuntu 17.04. I will have to wait until I have time to switch to Linux Mint, since 17.10 has been causing problems on my desktop PC and I don’t want to mess up my laptop with it, too.

Darktable Releases : Pascal de Bruijn has been updated. Not for 17.04 though.

You need to update soon. 17.04 is running out of support in January IIRC

I’m not sure that flatpaks can use OpenCL yet.

1 Like

Yeah, not much time left. I have already switched my desktop PC to Linux Mint 18.3, which I immediately fell in love with. Gonna install it on the laptop in the next few weeks.

I hope (s)he enjoyed that vacation! Meanwhile, my Mac runs this old, old version of darktable…

Patience is a virtue. :wink: