darktable-cmstest reports different profiles for X atom and colord

Hi,

I’ve searched and searched but still could not figure this out, so apologize if it’s already been answered somewhere.

My set up is Fedora + Wayland + Darktable + DCI-P3 screen. The issue I’m running into is that images exported from darktable look overly saturated when viewed in firefox and gnome image viewer.

For firefox, I’m able to fix this by specifying the ICC profile, though I wonder why I had to do that in the first place since that profile is already set in Gnome’s color settings.

I still couldn’t find a fix for gnome image viewer, though this output from darktable-cmstest seems suspect:

darktable-cmstest version 4.6.1
this executable was built with colord support enabled
darktable itself was built with colord support enabled

primary CRTC is at CRTC 0

eDP-1	the X atom and colord returned different profiles
	X atom:	_ICC_PROFILE (0 bytes)
		description: (none)
	colord:	"/home/jzw/.local/share/icc/edid-5e5b532624d1c33fab5630f7fc0e4dc1.icc"
		description: Built-in display

Better check your system setup
 - some monitors reported different profiles
You may experience inconsistent color rendition between color managed applications

It seems I have to somehow make X atom and colord point to the same icc profile. Does anyone know a reliable way to accomplish this? Thank you!

I load it from a shell script using dispwin -I path/to/profile.icc.
https://argyllcms.com/doc/dispwin.html#I

But I’m on xorg, not on Wayland. The latter has been reported to have some colour-management issues (most apps should work, if I understand correctly, just not calibration software).

As I understand it, Gnome under Wayland has only very basic color management. And KDE is not much better currently. Other compositors probably don’t have any color management at all. This is because the Wayland protocols needed are not finished, and have only just begun the process of being implemented. If you need color management and have a monitor with anything other than sRGB coverage, you have to use X11 for now.

You can read more in this thread:

Comment by KWin dev:

2 Likes