GIMP AppImage (continuous integration)

Now ArchLinux (Aur) offers a working Gimp 2.5 (de87b0a) with Photoflow (0.2.7) plugin. Everything seems to work!

Thanks again to Carmelo_DrRaw !!

Less interested now by Gimp AppImage… I have no more excuse for not doing good ( at least well processed !!! ) images…

Good to know! The arch repositories seem to be among the most up-to-date…

Thanks for the info. For whatever reason I wasn’t able to CD in terminal to the folder where I had placed the appimage, I had also forgot that I could just right click on the folder to open it in terminal. All’s fine now. Cheers.

1 Like

I just tried the latest Gimp AppImage. I own a Fujifilm X-T1, and when I try to open a raw image from the camera, the preview is pink, and on closing there’s an error message saying that the RAF plugin could not open the image.
I guess it’s because X-Trans raw files are not supported by the Photoflow version shipped in the AppImage (0.2.6-pre). In installed the latest stabdalone version of Photoflow (0.2.7) and the X-T1 raws are supported.
Is it possible to include the latest version of the Photoflow plugin in the AppImage?

Yes, this is indeed in my plans for the next few days… I will try to make a new appimage version tomorrow.

1 Like

I have just uploaded a new version of the GIMP AppImage, with BABL/GEGL/GIMP/GMIC/PhotoFlow all updated to their current git versions. As usual, the latest appimage can be downloaded from here.

Please let me know if you encounter any new issues with this new version.

Known problems:

• missing printers in Fedora 24 (under investigation)
  • warning message when starting the appimage from the applications menu (again under investigation, the warning is annoying but harmless)
  • does not run on some Debian Jessie systems

If you’re considering plugins to include, please consider the save for web plugin.

2 Likes

Very good suggestion, I will include it in next bundle…

Not strictly AppImage related, but does anyone know where the ‘color grading’ filter in g’mic has disappeared to? It used to be under ‘colors’, but is not there in this version.

Cheers.

Another indispensable plugin: indexprint !!!

@fotonut have you refreshed the filter list with the “online” box checked?

yup, that did it. Thanks @paperdigits

Hmm…Emperors New Clothes.

I would be careful adding too much. One persons vital plugin is another’s “Well…I can live without that…”

Think about that dreadful debian package that loads dozens of never-to-be-used scripts into Gimp’s root directories. That is where you can get the webexport plugin.

Save (should be export) for web. Ancient. A modern substitute could be BIMP. This does work with your latest appimage.
see: http://imgur.com/MdUzSfV

Or probably a better way is a David writing a gmic filter equivalent to Save-for-Web.

On Ubuntu 16.04 I get when launching on a console, any instances of ImportError: could not import pygtk

I think you should bundle python-gtk inside the AppImage (like Python itself and any other modules that might be needed). Maybe it would even speed up the launch a bit, by not having to do the many backtraces.

Yes, I need to look into that.

Is there any Elle’s Stone ppa version yet?

I will provide it during this week, together with the “official” one…

1 Like

Are the elles_icc_profiles included in the ppa file?

I have produced up-to-date AppImage packages for both the standard and “Elle’s color-enhanced” versions of Gimp, using current GIT HEAD versions of all relevant libraries. The updated links are available from the Community-built software page.

@Eduardo_Bohoyo Elle’s profiles are not included in the bundle, but you can get them from here: GitHub - ellelstone/elles_icc_profiles: Elle Stone's Well-Behaved ICC Profiles and Code

2 Likes

Weird: in the install notes she uses an .exe file!!!