GIMP AppImage (continuous integration)

On Ubuntu 16.04 I get when launching on a console, any instances of ImportError: could not import pygtk

I think you should bundle python-gtk inside the AppImage (like Python itself and any other modules that might be needed). Maybe it would even speed up the launch a bit, by not having to do the many backtraces.

Yes, I need to look into that.

Is there any Elle’s Stone ppa version yet?

I will provide it during this week, together with the “official” one…

1 Like

Are the elles_icc_profiles included in the ppa file?

I have produced up-to-date AppImage packages for both the standard and “Elle’s color-enhanced” versions of Gimp, using current GIT HEAD versions of all relevant libraries. The updated links are available from the Community-built software page.

@Eduardo_Bohoyo Elle’s profiles are not included in the bundle, but you can get them from here: GitHub - ellelstone/elles_icc_profiles: Elle Stone's Well-Behaved ICC Profiles and Code

2 Likes

Weird: in the install notes she uses an .exe file!!!

Yes, this is a bit strange… in any case, I think you do not need to compile and run the software, just take the .icc files from here.

OK. Thanks :slight_smile:

Ah! I suppose it is enough to copy them in my /usr/share/color/icc/ folder/… Or is there any way to implement them by means of my home directory if I wanted them installed only for myself? :rolling_eyes:

I answer myself: you can create this path in your home: /.color/icc/elles_icc_profiles-master.
After, you can copy within the downloaded profiles.
Maybe that was known by everyone except by my :blush:.

Also, @Elle is here on the forums if you wanted to ask her yourself. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, thanks David. I didn’t know that.[quote=“Carmelo_DrRaw, post:240, topic:1959”]
I think that no extension is the most “universal” choice
[/quote]

Apart from I think my “problem” :relieved: with the profiles has been solved with the creation of the home folder /.color, I agree because I see this profiles inclusion not like an installation, rather as an enrichment of variety; which is no small thing, no matter if it is for GIMP or for any other program, isn’t it?

1 Like

I’m not sure what the question is. But regarding the “.exe” in “how-to-compile-and-run.txt”, the file name and extension for the executable is completely arbitrary, you can name the executable anything you want.

I used “exe” in the sample compile command because most people probably understand that “exe” means it’s executable. But in retrospect that was probably a confusing extension to use as it might imply “Windows only” and I’m not even sure if my code compiles on Windows.

So I need some advice: What is a better file extension to use in the “how-to” file? Maybe .bat? or just not add a file extension?

I think that no extension is the most “universal” choice, as it is valid both for Linux and osx…

By the way, will you have the possibility to test the CCE appimage to see if all works correctly?

Thanks!

@Eduardo_Bohoyo : downloading the zip file from github also downloads the already-made ICC profiles, so that people can use the profiles without first building the code. But I completely failed to mention this in the “how-to” file. Sometime in the next week I’ll update that file, and also put in a note that it’s OK to put the profiles in a convenient location such as in a .color home folder. And per Carmelo_DrRaw’s advice I’ll remove the file extension in the sample compile command. Thanks! for letting me know about these issues.

@Carmelo_DrRaw : I just downloaded and spent some time using the 20161128 gimp-cce appimage. Everything seems to work just fine, except that g’mic crashes. I’ll send you a private email with the terminal output.

2 Likes

I have updated the CCE AppImage package with a patched G’MIC plug-in version that does not crash. For this, I simply replaced all instances of R’G’B’ with RGB, as R’G’B’ is not defined in the CCE version of BABL…

I can confirm it works to me too :+1:

1 Like

Also confirmed - everything works perfectly - thanks!

1 Like

One of the next steps in the CCE development will be to modify the G’MIC plug-in so that the input data from GIMP is internally converted to sRGB before it is processed by G’MIC, and then converted back to the GIMP working profile when the processing is finished.

However, this needs to be discussed with @David_Tschumperle to see if he agrees on the proposed modifications…