G'MIC plug-in with high-bit depth support

Hello there,

Chatting a bit with mitch and pippin from the GIMP team yesterday, they convinced me that porting the current version of the G’MIC plug-in for GIMP 2.9 could be something possible, and even not too complicated. So I gave a try.
And it seems to work :smile:

The plug-in was already working for GIMP 2.9, but without the support of high-bit depth images (16bits or 32bits/channels). Now, the latest version on the git repository should be able to get/set image data from/to GIMP while keeping the value precision (and not shrinking the pixel values to 8bits as before).

If you are using GIMP 2.9 (so the development version), and are interested by a high-bit depth support in the G’MIC plug-in, then maybe you could help to test the current plug-in code, and give feedbacks ?
This is for “advanced” users, because you’ll have to compile the G’MIC plug-in by yourself (which is actually quite easy on Linux, but probably a pain on Windows :slight_smile: ). Here are the steps for the Linux users (esp. Ubuntu in this case):

• Open a shell, and retrieve the latest G’MIC sources from the git repo (https://github.com/dtschump/gmic-minimal) by typing:

$ git clone https://github.com/dtschump/gmic.git

• Install all necessary dependencies to compile the plug-in itself (I assume you already have gimp-2.9 installed somewhere of course).

$ sudo apt-get install git build-essential libcurl4-openssl-dev libfftw3-dev

• Compile the plugin

$ cd gmic-minimal/src && make gimp

Then, copy your plug-in binary gmic_gimp to the GIMP-2.9 plug-in folder (on Linux, $HOME/.config/GIMP/2.9/plug-ins/). Then run/restart GIMP-2.9 to make it appear.

You should not see any big differences with the "usual’ version (hopefully), but now you’ll be able to apply all G’MIC filters using high precision modes.

Do not hesitate to try and give me feedback so I can improve the plug-in code if necessary.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Oh man, this is awesome! Thanks for this David!

Actually, we should thank mitch and pippin from the GIMP team, who bore my awful and trivial questions on irc :smile:
Looks like it is working great now, so I’m happy, it didn’t take a long time to make this happen.

Hi.
Nice work!
It works just fine for me on Ubuntu 15.04.
In order to satisfy dependencies using “sudo apt-get build-dep gimp” works nicely.
Thank you :smiley:

I’m having problems.

I’ve got Gimp 2.9.1 installed okay. And I got as far as “make gimp” then i get this message on Ubuntu 14.04

Package json-glib-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `json-glib-1.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
Package 'json-glib-1.0', required by 'GEGL', not found
No output from 'pkg-config --cflags gimpui-2.0'
Package json-glib-1.0 was not found in the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `json-glib-1.0.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
Package 'json-glib-1.0', required by 'GEGL', not found
No output from 'pkg-config --libs gimpui-2.0'
gmic_gimp.cpp:52:21: fatal error: gtk/gtk.h: No such file or directory
 #include <gtk/gtk.h>
                     ^
compilation terminated.
1 Like

Did you try the sudo apt-get build-dep gimp that @Dave_Jones suggested above? (Hoping that solves the problem).

Yes, i tried that. :cry:

I would suggest installing the libgimp2.0-dev package then.

1 Like

I got it working.

Got json-glib-1.0 from here: Projects/JsonGlib - GNOME Wiki!
and got it installed.

yay!

1 Like

For Fedora 22 I installed:

“Development Tools” (groupinstall)
libX11-devel
libpng-devel
libcurl-devel
fftw-devel
gimp-devel (from ryan lerch’s repository)

After that ‘make gimp’ runs without errors except some warnings on deprecater gimp functions.

1 Like

Of course, @partha has already gotten things bundled up on the windows side… So check out his site to pick up one of his 2.9 builds…

Partha.com

Hello all, I installed the latest version of the GMIC plugin to my gimp 2.9 install using the instructions posted here, but after moving gmic-gimp to the plug-ins directory and starting gimp, I got this message:

Could not execute plug-in “gmic_gimp”
(/home/jzzz/.gimp-2.9/plug-ins/gmic_gimp)
because it uses an obsolete version of the plug-in protocol

Any help will be appreciated! thanks, John

1 Like

Which OS are you using, and which instructions did you follow exactly?
Where did you get your 2.9 GIMP from? Did you compile it yourself, or did someone provide binaries?

Pat, thanks for the response…

I’m using Linux (Mint Debian); I compiled Gimp 2.9 myself, following the instructions given here (“What to do under Debian”):

http://wiki.meetthegimp.org/doku.php?id=compiling_2.7_under_linux_debian_esp

Hi all,

same issue here:
Could not execute plug-in “gmic_gimp”
(/home/martin/.config/GIMP/2.9/plug-ins/gmic_gimp)
because it uses an obsolete version of the plug-in protocol.

GIMP compiled for Linux Mint Debian Edition as described here:

jgschaefer: Did you succeed with your setup?

Hi,

does anyone have an update on this topic?

Cheers,

Martin

1 Like

Were you not able to get it running yet?

I can fire up a VM and try to follow the steps to help troubleshoot if you want.

Hi David,

ok, got it running, Problem with GMIC plug-in for Gimp 2.9 pointed me in the right direction.
If you are running gimp from the distribution and your own compiled version in parallel you need to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly.

I created a short summary at https://opensource.photography/content/compiling-gmic-linux-mint-debian-edition-2 including back links to pixls.us.

@David_Tschumperle: I hope it’s ok to reuse your mascot as teaser image :slightly_smiling:

Cheers,

Martin