João Almeida's darktable Presets

![](upload://vIVIvRAOiwChRogNW4ppAoUMQKJ.jpeg)

João Almeida's darktable Presets

A gorgeous set of film emulation for darktable

I realize that I’m a little late to this, but photographer João Almeida has created a wonderful set of film emulation presets for darktable that he uses in his own workflow for personal and commisioned work. Even more wonderful is that he has graciously released them for everyone to use.

These film emulations started as a personal side project for João, and he adds a disclaimer to them that he did not optimize them all for each brand or model of his cameras. His end goal was for these to be as simple as possible by using a few darktable modules. He describes it best on his blog post about them:

The end goal of these presets is to be as simple as possible by using few Darktable modules, it works solely by manipulating Lab Tone Curves for color manipulation, black & white films rely heavily on Channel Mixer. Since I what I was aiming for was the color profiles of each film, other traits related with processing, lenses and others are unlikely to be implemented, this includes: grain, vignetting, light leaks, cross-processing, etc.

Some before/after samples from his blog post:

![João Almeida Portra 400 sample](upload://vIVIvRAOiwChRogNW4ppAoUMQKJ.jpeg)
João Portra 400
(Click to compare to original)
![João Alemida Kodachrome 64 sample](upload://k8hlmVIJJbPkSB2pjggOpLR6PwO.jpeg)
João Kodachrome 64
![João Alemida Velvia 50 sample](upload://qjIT6pAoh6dxZpj9Q4PeupeSZ93.jpeg)
João Velvia 50

You can read more on João’s website and you can see many more images on Flickr with the #t3mujinpack tag. The full list of film emulations included with his pack:

• AGFA APX 25, 100
  • Fuji Astia 100F
  • Fuji Neopan 1600, Acros 100
  • Fuji Pro 160C, 400H, 800Z
  • Fuji Provia 100F, 400F, 400X
  • Fuji Sensia 100
  • Fuji Superia 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, HG 1600
  • Fuji Velvia 50, 100
  • Ilford Delta 100, 400, 3200
  • Ilford FP4 125
  • Ilford HP5 Plus 400
  • Ilford XP2
  • Kodak Ektachrome 100 GX, VS
  • Kodak Ektar 100
  • Kodak Elite Chrome 400
  • Kodak Kodachrome 25, 64, 200
  • Kodak Portra 160 NC, VC
  • Kodak Portra 400 NC, UC, VC
  • Kodak Portra 800
  • Kodak T-Max 3200
  • Kodak Tri-X 400

If you see João around the forums stop and say hi (and maybe a thank you). Even better, if you find these useful, consider buying him a beer (donation link is on his blog post)!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://pixls.us/blog/2016/11/jo-o-almeida-s-darktable-presets/
3 Likes

Very generous! I will certainly grab these. Is there a darktable styles repo on github?

1 Like

I don’t think so. Not yet at least. :wink:

There is offcourse https://dtstyle.net

2 Likes

Thanks so much @patdavid for the showcase my styles and everyone else for the comments and support! :slight_smile:

I don’t know any public repo with darktable styles on github, the only thing similar is https://dtstyle.net, like @andabata did pointed out, and I have uploaded some over there, but that site is a bit of a mess.
Currently my styles are in a private git repo, I’m planning to cloning it to github soon, before a new version I’m about to release.

1 Like

I’d be happy to start a darktable styles github repo, if anyone is interested.

1 Like

3 posts were split to a new topic: Updating dtstyle.net

I downloaded them a couple of weeks ago but haven’t used any yet !

João has an excellent portfolio of images

If you are posting to images to Flickr, João asks that you put a named tag in your images

1 Like

These are awesome. It’s a bit perverse, but I’ve been using them as a starting point for editing my film scans. :slight_smile:

Flickr, instagram and wherever hashtag are allowed, #t3mujinpack is a nice way to share it with everyone. Thanks! :slight_smile:

That’s indeed preverse, ahahaha!!

Another follow-up to this thread, I just created a GitHub repository for the presets, something that is natural as I already was using a private Git repository for the styles.

3 Likes

just for the record here, both links in @t3mujin’s post are now “Page not found”… i couldn’t find the right pages with a quick search either, unfortunately.

The github link works for me!

i was refering to that link: http://www.joaoalmeidaphotography.com/en/t3mujinpack-film-darktable/

Sorry @anarcat and the rest, I had to do some big maintenance and restructuring in my website, and the t3mujinpack page suffered with that. I though I changed the link everywhere, but apparently not. The current one is:

But in the end, as told by @paperdigits, github link will always work. But don’t worry, no similar change is in my plans in the near future.

5 Likes