make yourself a (not so) compact camera

And then it’s not even all that compact, with its stick-out lens.

It’s just a shame that the fixed-prime compact went away. The likes of the Fuji X70, XF10, Nikon Coolpix A, Ricoh GR originally sold for 500 or less… only the Ricoh survived, at double the price. And, arguably, the Fuji X100 and Sony RX1 and Leica Q, but those are in a different price bracket entirely.

As a market product, yes. But the point of this topic is that you can make something like that pretty easily.

Just to continue in the spirit of the game: what about a stylish Pen E-PL8 body for around 340 eur, plus a Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 for around 110?. Of course it looks better with the Olympus 17mm f/2.8, but that is out of the budget (buying locally is probably cheaper). Same vintage as the Fuji X70, only a tiny bit bigger.

I have a GR III as well, and I’ve heard lots of people complain about dust. I take good care of my gear, and it hasn’t been an issue for me. I live near a freeway and go to the desert pretty often.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve read about that, unfortunately it did not work with our camera.

1 Like

My entry would be a camera I already own, although don’t have with me at present and am missing it - Sony Nex5r with Sigma 30mm f2.8.

Small, fun, lovely lens and cheap enough not to worry too much about taking it everywhere.

1 Like

Or a Panasonic 14mm f/2.5, one of my favorite lenses on my E-PL5, for a similar price (at least on ebay).

2 Likes