New Windows builds

IFAIK there is no such thing like -march=generic. What ISA should that be? -march=native was included i.a. for the Gentoo people and lets to compiler decide to use the ISA it is compiling on (not the default ISA it was built for). So instead of guessing the ISA, @gaaned92 should probably define it to -march=i686 and give it a bit of a tuning by saying -mtune=intel or -mtune=generic.

HTH
Flössie (with ö :wink:)

@floessie @Morgan_Hardwood
-march=I686 will define a very old architecture without sse that will generate a very slow build using no Ingo improvement. It is the gcc default for 32 bit. I think RT will not be usable in those conditions.
-march=native on my PC is equivalent to march=nocona which is an architecture with sse and sse2 so using performance improvements.

Note : if you do not specify march flag, gcc will use a default one.

As i said above, I am not able to identify what tuning brings mtune =generic or intel seeing the passed options.
André

Hi André,

then I’d go for -march=nocona instead of -march=native to make your build independent of the CPU you build on. I wasn’t aware that you were not aiming for an i686 build, sorry.

I’d only expect very subtle differences. Maybe not even worth the effort.

Best
Flössie

Of course not, and I know that, so why did I write that? :head_bandage:

March implies mtune, so -march=i686 implies -mtune=i686 and the docs say that i686==generic, so in that case no need for mtune at all…?

[quote=docs]
‘i686’
When used with -march, the Pentium Pro instruction set is used, so the code runs on all i686 family chips. When used with -mtune, it has the same meaning as ‘generic’. [/quote]

I asked about that yesterday on #gcc
They told me stories of triplets and targets and other things I couldn’t possibly repeat.

The question was: “Hello, if one does not specify -march or -mtune, and if gcc was compiled with -march=foo, does that mean that when i compile something it will default to -march=foo?”
Here’s a copypasta of the log:

I’m not exactly sure, but what I think you certainly need is to ./configure gcc -with --target=${target-triple} as a start
gcc loves triples, and even loves to actually know what libc it’s compiling with (i.e. the triple must end with -musl and not -gnu if compiling for musl libc afaik)
the -march=foo gcc is compiled with only affects gcc itself, not the code it compiles. Configure gcc with --with-arch=foo if you want to alter the default -march for code compiled by it
for some targets the default is also set by the machine type, e.g. a gcc configured for i686-pc-linux-gnu is equivalent to one configured for i386-pc-linux-gnu using --with-arch=i686

Fun discussion :wink:

Best regards
Mörgan

Yep!

That’s clear (to me at least). Leaving out -march will compile for the default spec as given with --with-arch when building GCC.

:metal:

@LZ1 I just made a new Local Lab build, just go there to get the download link.

2 Likes

Many thanks !!

RawTherapee is absolutely non-responsive for me on Window10. I have installed the latest 54-bit build (I have tried both ‘fast’ and ‘debug’). I don’t boot Windows often, I typically boot Linux and I build RawTherapee from source and RawTherapee works perfectly well on Linux. There are some tasks I need to do in Windows though and I find it convenient then to have Rawtherapee available, but more often than not I have to bail out on Windows.

I have removed the options file in AppData/Local/RawTherapee to no avail. I have added a ‘cluts’ directory in C:\Program Files\RawTherapee… The program can take five minutes to show the main panel.

There must be something … Surely it works for someone. I have tried many versions during the last year, but I always end up with an unresponsive RawTherapee. It looks a bit inconsistent, since sometimes I managed to process a picture. I guess I don’t use Windows often enough so there are some tricks I don’t know of yet.

Hi @rlx009
Are you on Win10 32- or 64-bit?
Anniversary edition or “the old one”?

The version I presently have installed on this partition
is RT 4.2.1234 and yes, it works just fine.

Which RT version does not behave properly on your machine?
Tell me from where you got it so can I try it here as well, if
you’d like.

Hi Claes,

I am running Win10 64-bit Pro. This is the free upgrade from Vista-Pro I have done quite early after Win10 went out. Last upgrades installed yesterday.

I am now booted in Linux but I can see that the latest download I tried earlier this morning was RawTherapee_WinVista_64_Gtk3_Release_4.2.1234.zip.

I got it from http://rawtherapee.com/downloads

I have tried at least two other versions before (I can’t recall which ones) and always ended up with that problem.

I wait until I boot Linux to process my pictures.

Oh dear, that is exactly the same source I got my RawTherapee_WinVista_64_Gtk3_Release_4.2.1234.zip from – which means that I just ran out of ideas on how to assist you :frowning: Sorry!

Let’s hope that one of the better brains will chime in…

Thanks. If it works for you, it should also work fine here. It must be something local on my PC. I will try unsinstall and reinstall next time I boot Win10.

I don’t use CLUTS (yet). Cant that be a factor?

Not using them shouldn’t be a factor. :slight_smile: But you are sure, that you’ve configured the CLUTs directory correctly? Because RT will scan it recursively on startup.

Hm… of course, that could be a clue.
Try a clean install of RT 4.2.1234 and do not set any CLUTS path.

Addendum:
I also have a faint memory of some postings at the end of May
to the effect that if the CLUTS directory contained empty files,
then RT would misbehave…

Do you have any network drives set up?

About CLUTs: RawTherapee has code which will show a warning if loading CLUTs takes more than 10 seconds or if you have more than 500 or 1000 files in or under the CLUTs folder, forgot what the exact number was. I don’t know what happens in Windows when there is no CLUTs path set at all. Hopefully then nothing gets scanned. But if you want to be sure that it’s not CLUTs, then just create an empty folder such as c:\empty and set that as your CLUTs folder in RT’s Preferences.

I am not sure what you mean by ‘network drives’. I have a few directories visible on my local network and I can access them from other devices and my tablet PC also has some public directories. That’s all.

I have already created an empty CLUTS folder since I saw some posts talking about that. The empty CLUTS directory didn’t help. Anyway I don’t see why RT would behave differently on Window and Linux with respect to CLUTS and I have not issue with CLUTS on Linux – I don’t use CLUTS yet.

I have a flash. I have many hard disks and I remember I disabled indexing on Windows at some point since Windows is installed on a SSD and I have tried some SSD specific settings. I had to play with some SSD specific settings on a tablet PC after I had replaced the HD with a SSD. I will look at that.

OK, here is a far-fetched idea: in Win10, navigate to the directory containing
rawtherapee.exe using Win’s ordinary file browser
(presumably the directory will be C:\Program Files\RawTherapee-4.2.1234)

Now shift-right-click and select open command window here
type rawtherapee.exe and hit Enter
after a short while RT starts. Drag its window to one side so that you
will be able to see any error messages &c in the command window.

What happens at your place?

Addendum: I also have a bunch of SSDs here and I do not believe that they are to blame.

I will try that. I mentioned SSD’s because I believe I disabled indexing on the SSD and I can see in Explorer that windows is taking some time scanning directories (progress bar on the upper part of a Explorer/File manager window). That is not normally a problem but if RT needs to maintain an internal map of the drives, then that could slow down RT – just a guess.

That could be the cause - I recall there was a problem with network drives and locations slowing RT down. Just a guess - I don’t use Windows for reasons.

Hi, I start RT in a command shell as you suggested. It takes 3 min to get a white window and an additional minute to have the picture icons displayed.

There is no message whatsoever from RT in the command shell.

Within RT it takes an additional 48 s. to get the options window on the screen.

I also looked at indexing. I disabled the indexing service and started RT and the start time remains the same at around 4 min. I reactivated indexing, rebuilt the index, and the starting time is still at 4 min.

People might think that I have huge problems with that PC, but it works fine (4 cores, 2.5 GHz, 8 GBytes RAM, SSD). Before RT, I needed to use SilkyPix on Windows to process my raw files. SilkyPix starts in 10 s.

So I will try again in a few months. That’s not a big deal for me since I use RT in Linux anyways and I am so lucky to have RT on Linux in the first place.