No debug log file on Windows 11 (current master) [solved]

Hi all,

perhaps someone may help me with debug logging on Windows 11. As I’m currently facing two crashes with darktable on current master running on Windows 11 (self-compiled), I wanted to create a debug log. But it seems as if such is no longer written to C:\Users\<userName>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable when running darktable.exe -d <anyDebugOption>. In this directory I just find two directories cached_v5_kernels_for_<myGPU> and mipmaps-<someGUID> nothing else. I’m sure that it still worked not too long ago.

Any help is appreciated - thanks in advance,
Lars.

There is a recent PR that changed the location. I think it is in a new folder in your Documents folder.

2 Likes

Yessss, so now it’s C:\Users\<userName>\Documents\Darktable, thanks for your quick reply :sunglasses:

1 Like

This was recently merged and windows user feedback is welcomed. This folder makes it easy to find, but it is normally part of OneDrive backup location. Does it cause an issue? User prefer not to back it up?

Another option is to save it to the same path as darktablerc.

So from my point of view, the documents folder is a little unexpected here, as was the INetCache directory before. While the first is intended for user documents (Word, etc.), the latter is used for temporary internet files.
AppData is the location of choice when storing configuration and program specific user data, so I would vote for the darktable profile folder which is already located at the non-roaming application data at C:\Users\<userName>\AppData\Local\darktable, i.e. %localappdata%\darktable (when referencing Windows path variables) and therefore the best bet.
An alternative and also expected path would be the %temp% path, i.e. C:\Users\<userName>\AppData\Local\Temp or %localappdata%\Temp.

Can you share your perspective here? Place logdir under user's `Documents` folder on Windows by victoryforce · Pull Request #17480 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

1 Like

done :smiling_face: