[PlayRaw] Busy doorstep

It does have highlight recovery, but in this case a) there were no clipped highlights anyway and b) I intentionally brought them to very near the point of clipping myself.

Filmulator inherently attenuates bright areas, but only if they’re large. This area in particular was right next to the black cave walls, so it was actually probably slightly boosted in brightness.

Yup. I realised later that I went overboard with Final Touch up in Wavelet tool. May wrath be on me! Cheers

hi,

not sure this would be a keeper :slight_smile:
but i’m taking the challenge of pushing the blacks by ~5ev:
img_0001
i usually don’t like to remove trotski from my images and i suck at doing it, but this power line? climbing rope? was disturbing me.

darktable only, mostly spot removal + base curve with exposure fusion.

4 Likes

@chroma_ghost What is that patch at the bottom, and that line at the center?

@chroma_ghost looks like you want the cable and colour in the photo. Here is another attempt . Does it warrant another Kali execution? :wink:
_IMG0284.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)

Nice shot!
My first thought was " Wow two moons, tatooine". I then noticed that you actually didn’t manage to get there. :slight_smile:

RT → tif → Gimp 2.9
Basic development in RT using a slight grading.

In Gimp I did exactly what I described here:
https://discuss.pixls.us/t/enhancing-local-contrast-vs-global-contrast/4872

Only difference is I applied the inverted overlay layer locally using the brush tool, trying to accentuate the bottom and the left upper part of the cave.

_IMG0284_RG

3 Likes

@CarVac gashô sensei… glass of milk? :clown_face:

but i’m taking the challenge of pushing the blacks by ~5ev

holly wacamolly @hanatos !!! I’m gonna need my welding :zap:shades then :sunglasses::nail_care::chicken:

remove trotski

hihihihi, blasphemous you!! hihii

so you were at DartKable, I mean Klark Gable and didn’t feel like using those useful tools available at no cost for masking a bit and bring back the greatness of father sky? hmmmmm… okay :smiley:

What is that patch at the bottom, and that line at the center?

@afre {deep fried south} you don’t get all asking stuff lazy boy on me now, you hear(?) you sweat like every motherfluffer else.
patch at the bottom are accumulated tears (neutral PH) , line is climbing gear (not mine) specifically a thick steel cable… if I try and repeat the shot - a bit out of my rice paper credo, but hey maybe when full moon arises, who knows right (?) - I might try to disengage it or at least hung something meaningful from it… something like… say… a goat. BUTT iif overall disposition makes you sad I can upload a different cave-moon shot just for you, 'cause above anything else in this world I don’t want you to be sad   - - - insert super kitsch 80s soundtrack here - - - :jack_o_lantern:

@shreedhar you would understand my humour if you had spent as much time and resources first hating the cable as if was the cause of every disgrace since the dawn of men, then understanding that it was part of reality, then forgiving your dad for not giving you the unicorn you always dreamt about

crumb-avenue-cute unicorn-20150705173143

dad did know better… so many brave men killed by unicorns each year

I then noticed that you actually didn’t manage to get there. :slight_smile:

You not need to bursting me bubble yo @McCap !!! or how you say, ah LOL yolo bolo manolo tattoo stars and right on top mermo, just love bro just LOVE and also a fine job mr Capiohh :beetle::frog::crescent_moon::comet::coconut::banana::heartpulse:

Thank y’all :gorilla::avocado::wine_glass::fries::love_you_gesture::grinning::right_anger_bubble::bomb::notes:

1 Like

Hi, nice shot! Textbook example of how cameras are so inferior to the human eye! Here’s my attempt, done in Darktable:

_IMG0284.DNG.xmp (8.2 KB)

It might be so Mario, but I think you did a great natural looking approach here, congrats!! I might end up developing just like yours =) Only thing missing was a chromatic aberration module/filter; which funny enough it seems I cannot regulate nor make a second intance.

your processing

with ch aberr module

PS
now looking closer at them side by side, seems the chromatic aberrations module steals some colour too, specially noticeable in the “yellow” rock and watter, exported both tifs and issue is there, weird

PS2
reminded me my own version (on hault) I was doing in photoflow, got chickepox

Ah! Brilliant! Thank you! I’d never used that particular module - very useful! :grinning:

Tears are never neutral; they come in times of duress or joy. So you are saying that it is a puddle? It looks like a random patch of color painted on in post or the result of an out of gamut area.

Would you prefer us to remove the cable or leave it there? I could not tell from your poetic speech. It would have been hilarious if a crazier than thou person photo bombed you.

The problem with reality is that there is too much of it around :wink:

Or when cutting onions. Those are neutral. So obviously someone prepared a meal there.

2 Likes

Ja ajAjaja aj you’re the best =) @afre also when you wake up or when you realise something “epiphanic”. Personally would not dare to measure those kind of moments; against what?

AND we need to count in exposition to air, crab’s crap, limpets own tiny tears (those are very alkaline), algae residuals ,salt watter, etc. So…yahh… guess not perfectly neutral :stuck_out_tongue:

It would have been hilarious if a crazier than thou person photo bombed you.

It’s not easy to find people willing to have wet fun without penetration, oh in my head that sounded better, anyway I’m thinking about training a monkey in the role of photographer assistant… the problem is that locations might also get cover in peanuts’ shells… dilema oh dilema!!!

On the rare ocassions I do find company, it’s a lot of fun. From yesterday
DSC02571_web

Would you prefer us to remove the cable or leave it there? I could not tell from your poetic speech

ja ja ja, I already told you in my poetic speech: neither and both; do as you like man! I’m just messin/poking at people; plain curiosity to see if they move and bite; this is just a medium.

ja aja ajaAaja jjjja @shreedhar you completelly got me there, you sneaky you used the old multiply to conquer trick. Namastetimes 10 XD U so right there’s too uch reality ja ja ajaa

Or when cutting onions. Those are neutral. So obviously someone prepared a meal there.

@houz Obviously ,-)
While you’re are here, let me ask you why does DT’s chromatic aberrations module seems to desaturate colour overall?

It does? I never noticed. It’s misbehaving a little in darkroom mode when panning the image around, but I never saw it desaturate everything.

https://pixls-discuss.s3.amazonaws.com/original/2X/9/994641fa402e51ad72cfd8ce240049e95bd3dcf2.xmp

@houz I added the module to @Mario_Saraceni 's develop (above) and exported both, tifs 16b one as it is and another with CH aberr module. The decrease in saturation was visible. DT 2.2.5 OSX 10.11.6

A simple LightZone version, “golden sepia” to avoid the sky colours, one trotski replaced.

Custom;doorstep.lzt.txt (5.9 KB)

1 Like

Playing with color tools in RawTherapee 5.3

_IMG0284.DNG.pp3 (12.3 KB)

I like the version of @hanatos. Just one more thing should be changed :wink: .

@jacal I’m with you brother, at all cost we ought to avoid the sky colours … but enough troski messing, poor little thing :stuck_out_tongue: I like the smoothness of you sepiante, maybe the center area would benefit a tad more contrast, don’t know, just salt theorising :eagle:

@HIRAM love the texture and the tones wanting to go pastel, not applying NR let the whole-grain surface which I personally find pleasing. Hot highlights and some fringing on the top, but I could not find an easy fix in RT without dismanteling your processing. All good

@Thomas_Do why on earth would you make all the rocks smaller!!! :rage::lying_face::grin:

Thanks pips, learnig a lot of tricks