Segfault when the number of files gets to 908 files in the directory

I know I can break down the directory in two and I will not get into that segfault problem. Anyway I just want to flag this problem since the camera creates directories that way and some people just move the SD card from the camera to a card reader and use RT from there.

I built RT from GIT after a git pull

Version: 5.0-r1-gtk2
Branch: master
Commit: 1077c4b
Commit date:
Compiler: cc 4.9.2
Processor: Intel(R)\ Core™2\ Quad\ CPU\ \ \ \ Q6600\ \ @\ 2.40GHz
System: Linux
Bit depth: 64 bits
Gtkmm: V2.24.4
Build type: Release
Build flags: -O2 -fPIC -std=gnu++11 -Werror=unused-label -fopenmp -Werror=unknown-pragmas -O3 -DNDEBUG
Link flags:
OpenMP support: ON
MMAP support: ON

@rlx009 could you try using the latest dev and post a stack backtrace if it still happens? Remember to

git checkout dev
git pull

then

rm -r build
mkdir build
cd build

etc

Could be:

I believe I just found a solution to a recurring problem I had with RT crashing when opening directories with close to 1000 files in. The problem was intermittent since sometimes like last night RT could open some directory that I couldn’t open later this morning. But once RT started to dislike one of my directories it would always crash when opening that directory.

I am posting this for the record since someone else might get into that problem, possibly after updating RT a number of times.

The solution that works for me is to clear the thumbnails in Preferences/File browser/Cache options and now RT no longer crashes when opening the picture directories it didn’t want to open.