What's new in post-0.2.7 version

Is the “inside feathering” available for arbitrary shapes, or just for circular/elliptical shapes? In the latter case, something equivalent will come in future PhF versions…

Is the “inside feathering” available for arbitrary shapes, or just for circular/elliptical shapes?

LR only has gradients and circular shapes (which can be inverted and pushed to eliptical). Only circular can be feathered, since version 5 or so either LR and ACR allow for the brush to add or substract from gradients and circular shapes. That’s all, no arbitrary lapse of reason :cloud_tornado:

In the latter case, something equivalent will come in future PhF versions…

Super :penguin:

@Carmelo_DrRaw - I just wanted to say thanks again, for all your efforts and responsiveness. From my point of view, PhF has an impressive feature set and it looks like the upcoming iterations will cover most of what I need. The main things that I miss are speed optimizations (e.g. for NR), stability (there are too many crashes on my Win 10 machine) and some refinements to existing filters (NR and sharpening in particular; and I think that RT can be a good source for how to improve these).

1 Like

You forgot to include again between RT and can

@Carmelo_DrRaw You know how to take my comment :wink: Keep on with your good work!

1 Like

You could probably help me out with this… I have just uploaded a new PhF Windows installer that includes the same stand-alone gdb.exe that is shipped with RT debug builds (see thread linked below). Just grab the Windows installer tagged 20161221.

The gdb.exe executable is in the bin/directory from the root of the PhF install folder, together with the photoflow.exe executable.
Could you try running photoflow though GDB, and send me the full backtrace whenever you get some crash? That would help a lot…

To get the backtrace of all threads, please run this command at the GDB prompt after the crash:

thread apply all backtrace

I have not tested the procedure under Win10 myself, so I do not guarantee 100% that it will work, but I think it is worth trying…

Thanks!

2 Likes

Still much to learn but that doesn’t mean we can’t share the process {skippy leave that dead politician alone!!}. So here is a new, different, photoflow presset:

PF_EGCM_03.pfp.zip (1.9 KB)

• EGCM_03 stands for expired golf-club membership
  • It is landscape oriented and also for the “flat” raw profiles kind
  • I’ve check it both with countryside and coastal pics
  • It is not fast by any means, still worlds apart from previous, around 4 minutes to full caching & export from raw
  • It does the dirty gong dance, a sort of colourful tone-mapping; tried my best to preserve HL and deeep shadows

Base raw image

A little push on exposure

EGCM_03 in action

From botton to top

• Buff dude ------ buffer layer connected to clones, don’t need touchy
  • satu w HSL ---- basic adj layer in color transfer mode. If you wish to change how saturation behaves, I’ll suggest to turn off all layers above, change satu’s opaticity to 100%, turn momentarily Luma and Saturation (from HSL) curves off and then mess around with it. When you’re happy enable the L and S curves again; you can also affect specific hues with the remaining H curve.
  • Worse TM ---- the tone mapping/large-radious contrast effect. You can change the gaussian layer radious but in my tests, everything below 200s shows halos. Also you can push things by changing the transfer to merge instead of soflight and reduce opacity.
  • curves // ------ self explanatory, luminosoty mode. This and the above layer both use layer clones calling its buffer dude friend, hence the “//” reminder.
  • film EMU // — Gmic’s film emulation. By default is set to Fuji Astia; change it to your hearts desire or shut the motherfosset off =)

• what, what, the kitchen’s on fire!!! have to go, go go go photoflow gogogo!!!

Happy halloween to everybody, hope you don’t get very sad about santa, we had to… kidnap him, he was getting too fat and reactoionary, he’'ll be back in good shape and black as a panther :cat2: … or a penguin :penguin:

1 Like

Back trying PF … using this build under Windows 10.
When I open a file for which there is some accent in the name (or even in the path) PF crashes.
examples: 20161106_Jalapão\20161117_Jalapão_054.nef or 20150919_Chartres_en_lumière\20150919_Chartres_001.nef
I’ve not this issue when the characters are pure English.

Is there a link where I can find how to do this ?
When I type photoflow.exe on (gdb) prompt (stupid guess ?), GDB crashes.
When I run GDB, then PF in parallel, the command “thread apply all backtrace” is silent.

Thanks a lot (as usual !).

I need to check how UTF-8 characters are handled, there is certainly some place where they get ignored…

For running PhF through GDB, try the following:

• go into the folder where the photoflow.exe command is located

• run

gdb.exe photoflow.exe

and then type

run

at the gdb prompt

I tried to use gdb with 20161221 and I experienced a crash but it looks like the bt is not captured. This is my console, can you tell me what I’m doing wrong?

By the way, the number of thread creations and terminations looks very high. There are about 1200 cases of creations and 1200 terminations when I’m opening my PFI file, which includes a very simple workflow - just a layer for reading the RAW file and a layer for curves that includes 3 mask layers. At the risk of saying something that you already know, in general parallelism is good but (a) thread creation and termination are expensive operations so better use a thread pool to keep them at the minimum; (b) context-switching is also not cheap, so it’s better to avoid too intense switches.

I have realised that in the earlier Windows packages the debugging symbols were stripped from the executable, ad that’s probably the reason why you did not get any backtrace… the latest package (tagged 20170111) should have debugging symbols as expected.

The relevant message from gdb is the following:

Reading symbols from photoflow.exe...(no debugging symbols found)...done.

Concerning the threads creation, this is indeed strange… I’m looking into that at the moment.

Thanks!

Does PhF support DCP camera profiles?

Yes, but only in the linear_gamma branch for now…

1 Like

New development packages for photoflow are available from the continuous build page, they are marked 20170202 (for Linux&OSX) or 20170203 (for Windows).

They incorporate all the bug fixes that have been discussed here.

1 Like

A quick update concerning the work which is going on in the development branch, particularly with respect to the GIMP plug-in, and in preparation for the next official release:

As a follow-up concerning the new GIMP plug-in interface, here is a short explanation on how to run GIMP and the PhF plug-in under Linux directly from the AppImage packages:

1 Like

One more short blog post, to introduce the new keyboard shortcuts that are now available in the development packages:

Hi, not sure why but in my computer the actual shortcut keys are be " shift + ?", instead of "Ctrl+shift+?" as stated in the blog.

That’s actually better coz there is no need to press an extra key.

Still, I would suggest setting shortcuts to just “ctrl+?”, coz most people are used to enter “ctrl+c” for copying, instead of “shift+c”.

That’s a reasonable suggestion, however I want to take some time to make sure that this is not interfering with system shortcuts in all supported systems… avoiding this possible interference was the main reason for my initial choice.

Thanks!

By the way, which operating system are you using?

Thanks for your reply. I am using Ubuntu 16.10. I also tried it in Manjaro under Virtualbox. Same result (i.e. shortcut is “shift+?”).