Win 32 Build Please?

Hi,

could you please also create Win32 editions of the latest RT versions?

Thank you in advance!

I’ve moved this post to the appropriate place for you (and just sort of made up a new title).

It appears from this post that the Win32 builds will no longer be supported as of Jan 2018…

Hi patdavid,

thanks for the correction. Sad news for me, if Win32 will no longer be supported, as I am using Win 7 32.

Why will it no longer be supported?
Any chance to continue the support?

Regards

As mentioned here by @gaaned92 Win32 builds seem to be possible again

1 Like

Just curious, but how long since you have upgraded your hardware? Is it quite old (maybe more than 10 years), because otherwise your hardware would probably support a 64-bit OS.

1 Like

Nice to hear!

and if it supports a 64-bit OS it can make use of more RAM, which is a cheap way to boost performance.

32-bit Linux can use up to 64GB RAM.

True, but 32-bit Windows can’t use more than 4 GB.

@Morgan_Hardwood

And the whole 64GB RAM can be adressed inside a process?

@RawTherapist
I really thought that nobody was still using 32bit windows. It happens I was wrong.
I will try to build again the dev branch for W32.

Nevertheless, be aware that W32 builds are no longer maintained by the dev team and thus there will be no or very small support in case of problem.

And definitely you should think to upgrade to 64b system if you want to be comfortable with photo editing.

How can this work? With 32 bit you can exactly address 4294967296 memory cells, which is 4GB…

RawTherapee_dev_5.3-440-g91e494a7_WinVista_32.zip

uploaded at
https://keybase.pub/gaaned92/RTW32NightlyBuilds

There is a worrying warning while building. I don’t know if it is important

Y:/RTSOURCE/rawtherapee/rtengine/dcraw.cc: In member function 'short int* DCraw::foveon_make_curve(double, double, double)':
Y:/RTSOURCE/rawtherapee/rtengine/dcraw.cc:3860:9: warning: argument 1 value '4294967295' exceeds maximum object size 2147483647 [-Walloc-size-larger-than=]
   curve = (short *) calloc (size+1, sizeof *curve);
   ~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from C:/msys64/mingw32/include/c++/7.2.0/cstdlib:75:0,
                 from C:/msys64/mingw32/include/c++/7.2.0/bits/stl_algo.h:59,
                 from C:/msys64/mingw32/include/c++/7.2.0/algorithm:62,
                 from Y:/RTSOURCE/rawtherapee/rtengine/rt_math.h:3,
                 from Y:/RTSOURCE/rawtherapee/rtengine/dcraw.cc:19:
C:/msys64/mingw32/i686-w64-mingw32/include/stdlib.h:501:17: note: in a call to allocation function 'void* calloc(size_t, size_t)' declared here
   void *__cdecl calloc(size_t _NumOfElements,size_t _SizeOfElements);
                 ^~~~~~
In member function 'short int* DCraw::foveon_make_curve(double, double, double)',
    inlined from 'void DCraw::foveon_make_curves(short int**, float*, float*, float)' at Y:/RTSOURCE/rawtherapee/rtengine/dcraw.cc:3878:39:
Y:/RTSOURCE/rawtherapee/rtengine/dcraw.cc:3860:9: warning: argument 1 value '4294967295' exceeds maximum object size 2147483647 [-Walloc-size-larger-than=]
   curve = (short *) calloc (size+1, sizeof *curve);
   ~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from C:/msys64/mingw32/include/c++/7.2.0/cstdlib:75:0,
                 from C:/msys64/mingw32/include/c++/7.2.0/bits/stl_algo.h:59,
                 from C:/msys64/mingw32/include/c++/7.2.0/algorithm:62,
                 from Y:/RTSOURCE/rawtherapee/rtengine/rt_math.h:3,
                 from Y:/RTSOURCE/rawtherapee/rtengine/dcraw.cc:19:
C:/msys64/mingw32/i686-w64-mingw32/include/stdlib.h: In member function 'void DCraw::foveon_make_curves(short int**, float*, float*, float)':
C:/msys64/mingw32/i686-w64-mingw32/include/stdlib.h:501:17: note: in a call to allocation function 'void* calloc(size_t, size_t)' declared here
   void *__cdecl calloc(size_t _NumOfElements,size_t _SizeOfElements);
                 ^~~~~~

It doesn’t. Well, the system might use that much ram, but per process you are limited to 3-4GB. Which is nothing for editing images from modern cameras.

1 Like

The hardware owner is not limited to Windows.
Also,

Maybe this answers your questions:

Hehe

True…maybe he/she can be tempted to the dark side! :smiley:

Thanks a lot gaaned92! Maybe I am not the only one still using Win32, otherwise, I feel honoured that you do it for me ; -)
Don’t worry about support in case of problems, I will live with what I get.

Anyways, I am not too much into computers, instead enjoying photography more.

1 Like

Thanks for the link. I think I got it :slight_smile:

You are Welcome!
I will try to build on a weekly basis

1 Like

Hi gaaned92,

let me give you some feeback on my attempts to install the versions you published on Google Drive.

I tried RawTherapee_5.2_WinVista_32.exe, RawTherapee_dev_5.3-343-g48ecbd16_WinVista_32.exe, and RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.3-549-g42d0f550_WinVista_32.exe. All verrsions install completely.

Only RawTherapee_5.2_WinVista_32.exe runs on my system. The two 5.3 editions do not start. Right after double clicking the icons, I get an error message.

In case a log file is produced, I could share it, if you want.