X-trans compressed -- status?

What’s the present status on Darktable and Fuji compressed X-trans files?
RT can handle them. Capture 1 Pro 10.1 Beta seems to manage them as well.

Uwe Müssel has started trying to port the code from libraw to rawspeed, but i have not heard from him since.

1 Like

Hi all,

Present status?

/Claes

4 Likes
4 Likes

Danke vielmals!

I have a new Fujifilm X-E3 (Oct 2017) which has the same sensors as the X-T20 or X-T2. But I cannot open the RAF file. Anyway to add this new camera or is there a way to edit the exif?
Thanks.

BTW, I am using V2.2.5 on Debian

Irrelevant of the specific camera model, X-Trans compressed RAF’s are only supported in git master, not in any released version of darktable.

The camera is already supported.

Don’t do that.

Oh, that was really misleading in your post 3 above…

Thanks Roman
I’ll wait patiently for the next release.

I’m guessing you are talking about X-trans compressed -- status? - #6 by LebedevRI ?
Can you quote the misleading part? I never stated anything about releases in there.

Didn’t know that was not released yet. My fault.

Hi Roman. I followed instructions to compile using git. Compiled ok, but the fujifilm X-E3 is not in the rawseed database. Here is the error message

shum@debian:~/darktable/build$ darktable
RawSpeed:Unable to find camera in database: ‘FUJIFILM’ ‘X-E3’ ‘’
Please consider providing samples on https://raw.pixls.us/, thanks!
[rawspeed] (DSCF7076.RAF) Camera ‘FUJIFILM’ ‘X-E3’, mode ‘’ not supported, and not allowed to guess. Sorry.
[temperature] failed to read camera white balance information from DSCF7076.RAF'! [colorin] FUJIFILM X-E3’ color matrix not found!
[colorin] FUJIFILM X-E3' color matrix not found! [colorin] FUJIFILM X-E3’ color matrix not found!
[temperature] failed to read camera white balance information from DSCF7076.RAF'! [colorin] FUJIFILM X-E3’ color matrix not found!
[colorin] FUJIFILM X-E3' color matrix not found! [colorin] FUJIFILM X-E3’ color matrix not found!
RawSpeed:Unable to find camera in database: ‘FUJIFILM’ ‘X-E3’ ‘’
Please consider providing samples on https://raw.pixls.us/, thanks!
[rawspeed] (DSCF7075.RAF) Camera ‘FUJIFILM’ ‘X-E3’, mode ‘’ not supported, and not allowed to guess. Sorry.
[temperature] failed to read camera white balance information from DSCF7075.RAF'! [temperature] FUJIFILM X-E3’ color matrix not found for image
[temperature] failed to read camera white balance information from `DSCF7075.RAF’!

Works fine here.
I guess you either did not build the git master of darktable,
or did something wrong with rawspeed submodule update.

Building
Note that rawspeed is tracked via a git submodule, so after checking-out the darktable, you need to update/checkout rawspeed,

git submodule init
git submodule update

Hi Roman. Thanks for reply. I followed the instructions in the manual. After ./build.sh and cd build && sudo make install commands, it was completed with no errors. But I cannot find any executable in /opt/darktable. (previously I used a simple darktable command which would bring me to version 2.2.3 with errors of no X-E3). I ended up using
shum@debian:~/darktable/build$ /opt/darktable/bin/darktable
It runs and show version 2.3.0+1080…and opens my compressed .raf files. :grinning:
So, I need to start it from terminal and close it afterwards. Is there a simple way to create an executable so I can run it from gnome desktop?

By default it installs into /opt/darktable, which you should create first, and make it writable by your user, so no sudo is needed for the make install

So which is it, I cannot find any executable in /opt/darktable, or I ended up using /opt/darktable/bin/darktable? :slight_smile:

Cool!

No clue about gnome, i don’t use that. I guess something along the lines of .desktop - How can I create launchers on my desktop? - Ask Ubuntu

Thanks Roman. I managed to just change my current v2.2.5 launcher to the new version. Working great. Thanks for your help and patience. Now I have to tackle lensfun to include Fuji X-E3.

Hi Roman, I have another question or observation of the git version on Fuji X-E3.
The new git version opens the X-E3 file, but when I zoom to 100%, the image has jagged lines all over. If I switch to jpeg, its all clear and sharp. I tried all the demosaic options but the same effect. Maybe these demosaic methods are not suitable for 24mp sensors?

Do you mean this blocky stuff? It’s not caused by the demosaicer. Tested with rt. Left is demosaiced, right is not demosaiced: