4.0 is not working out for me

Hi,
I recently upgraded from 3.8 to 4.0. The upgrade to 3.8 caused issues similar to what I’ll discuss below, and I waited for the new version hoping the development team would address the issue, but it seems they have doubled down on complexity. I cannot navigate this new version. For example:
I cannot find “more modules”. If I don’t know all the modules to enter in the search bar I am screwed. I cannot figure out how to add modules to my favorites tab. In short, i cannot navigate this new version, And the manual does not address the issues I’m having.I used to recommend Darktable to new photographers, but no longer, as they would not be able to figure out how to use it effectively.
I love darktable, but if i cannot figure out how to use the features I need it is zero use to me…
I need to figure out a way to revert to a version that is usable to me, or I will be bidding Darktable a sad adieu. Not a programmer or computer nerd and not looking to become one.
I have an older installation package saved in my Downloads files. Does anyone know if I try to install that whether or not Darktable will give me the option to delete the current version and install the older one, the same as the installer does when we upgrade to the newer one?
Thank you.

Rightclick on one of these symbols, and you can add (or remove), whatever you want.

grafik

This is the best tip I can give you concerning adding or removing modules. It might be easier than the preset menu.

Concerning older versions, others need to tell you. Of course you could just manually uninstall darktable, before installing an older one. Your edits done in a newer version will most likely not be backwards compatible.

1 Like

Thank you. I literally spent at least an hour trying to figure out how to do that before giving up in frustration.
Much appreciated.

1 Like

Iirc, there was a database change between 3.8 and 4.0, so once you have run version 4.0 once, you cannot go back to 3.8 with the same database.
But darktable does save a copy at the time it updates to the new database format (named data.db-pre-4.0.0 and library.db-pre-4.0.0). Of course you will lose any changes you did in 4.0.

More in general, if you report problems with dt (or any other program), it usually helps a lot if you at least tell us the OS you use (including the version). Console output can also be useful.

Not that it helps you any, but I had no particular problems going from 3.8.1 to 4.0.0. Particularly the organisation of modules in the right sidebar worked the same for me as in version 3.8.1…

1 Like

Thank you.
I’m using Windows 10 Home.
The previous reply helped tremendously. With a simple right click (DOH!) I can find all the modules and assign them where I need them, which was the main issue.
I DO like some of the newer features and modules.
Once again, the help received here is greatly appreciated.
I have used Darktable almost since the first day I started in digital photography(old film user here, and an irredeemable Luddite). I’ve tried other software, but nothing comes close, which is why I reached out here. To lose it would have been a heavy blow to my photography.
Thanks again!

I’m willing to bet the manual does address it. What pages did you look at? What keywords did you search for?

The manual describes changing the modules. You can only change your own (not the pre created ones).

https://docs.darktable.org/usermanual/4.0/en/darkroom/organization/manage-module-layouts/

Once again, I got what I needed and appreciate the help. I searched as best I could; don’t forget the self described Luddite part.
If you want to take me apart for not looking in the right place, or scold me for not searching properly, go for it. I will not participate in that kind of discussion; I’m 59 years old and both my Mother and Father are dead. Those are the only two who ever had any authority to do either of those things.
Thanks again for all of the help, and if I’m judging the conversation wrong, my apologies.

Well I have worked on the documentation in the past and will likely do so again in the future. I have spent a few hundred hours of my own personal leisure time trying to make them as good as I can for people like you. The manual, while it doesn’t cover everything and even doesn’t cover some things well, is about as comprehensive of a manual as you’re gong to see from a raw processor these days.

I’m a long time darktable user, and the more I use and understand it, the further I am from being able to implement changes that make it easier for new comers to find what they need.

If you don’t want to provide the feedback I ask for, that is fine, but this is how things improve.

There is an unwritten contract in free software: we support you and you support us. When we each give what we can, things get better.

As of now you’ve been vague in your description and vaguely insulting. That doesn’t help anyone.

Don’t know what you are talking about. What feedback? How I searched and what i searched for? I told you I was on Windows 10 Home, or did you miss that?
Honestly, the PDF viewer I used, I think the newest one from Windows that works with their browser, but I cannot remember, had no option to search a menu or anything of the sort. And don’t forget, I have said twice now; Luddite. In the truest sense of the word; i can barely get along at all with computers or anything techy, and tried to make that perfectly clear, so I have done the best that i can, given my limitations.
I searched by actually going through the table of contents and choosing anything I thought might relate to what i needed. Only option i had.The fact that I found nothing even when it was there does not surprise me. There may indeed have been a search facility in that PDF viewer that I couldn’t find as well.
The fact is there are people out there, yes, even photographers, who don’t automatically “get it” the way that you do, or to whom things like this are not second nature.
Having said all that, i do want to take the time to thank you for whatever work you did involving Darktable. As I said earlier, i love the software and would hate to be without it. But i am not like you, and these things are not intuitive to me, AT ALL.
Edited to add: Also, vaguely insulting? Did you miss the part where I apologized if I took the posts wrong?
When you aren’t looking someone in the eye, and when you’re new, yo don’t always interpret things correctly. I bent over backwards to apologise ahead of time for any missunderstanding. Perhaps I’m not the only one who took things the wrong way.

The questions I asked for here:

This is useful information for us.

I didn’t miss it, it just isn’t relevant or what I was asking about.

Can you be more specific? What sections did you look at?

Yes I know that, which is why I’m trying to get some feedback from you. That’s why we have written a 300+ page manual and ask people to read it.

Just because you make a blanket appolgy doesn’t mean it isn’t insulting. Its like when people say “well not to be offensive, but…” And then say something completely offensive.

1 Like

a lot of lines with words, but no usable information which information you have searched in which section of the manual etc. If you did your search that way I don’t wonder you haven’t found anything :wink:

I told you everything I can remember.
I looked at everything I could find that I thought might be relavent. I spent a lot of time, most of it confusing and frustrating, trying to find an answer. Trying to remember every page I went to now is like someone coming out of a coma and being asked if they remember anything, lol. I’m sorry if that doesn’t help, best I can do at this point.
Have a great evening.
I do appreciate the help I got, but your warm welcome has made me regret ever coming here, almost. And yeah, I know you won’t get it and will keep on with this, but I have told you over and over, I don’t know, I don’t understand, I cannot navigate this stuff, etc., etc.
Not lying, not obfuscating, not playing games, best I can do Done with this thread, and contemplating leaving.
Once again, have a great evening, and thank you to all who took time to understand and actually help; it is much appreciated

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/darkroom/organization/manage-module-layouts/

Top right corner to search…

For the future…example shown for the word module…

2 Likes

Todd, where did you get that “user manual”. The one I have I downloaded from Darktable.org. What I have is nothing like that.
It is all just text, that is all, no graphs, very little interaction, etc.

The page where you downloaded the PDF also has a link to the HTML version of the same manual. But I won’t bother any further.

1 Like

Thank you. Sorry, once again, I have no idea if I can even use or view an HTML file, which is what I’m trying to get across to you guys
I’m sorry I have been so frustrating to you, and appreciate that you tried.

I have been in need of help many times so no worries…one thing related to your query. Maybe 2…Many times you can hold down the h key and any mouse clicks or shortcuts that are defined and that you can use are listed… also if you notice when you click the active module tab it will show you the active modules in the order in which DT processes them from bottom to top. If you click again you will see a list of all the modules and in their pipeline order… This can be a way to review not only the entire module list but to see in what order they get processed… if that is of any use to you…

1 Like