5.9rc1 vs 5.8-3163-gb08ed74cb dev Differences?

Question for the devs about the Mac 5.9rc1 that I can not get to launch, and 5.8-3163-gb08ed74cb which works.
What are the differences between the two versions? If I fire up the making of more RT videos will those that CAN use 5.9 see anything different to me or have different functionality?

We did a status WIP update post on the website a while back that looked at some 5.9WIP features that I think are new beyond 5.8?

Of course, I’ll defer to the actual experts but maybe that would help a little.

5.8-3163-gb08ed74cb looks like a dev/git build (possibly recent) which is likely “5.9WIP”, and may be newer than that July post. Dev builds retained 5,8 nomenclature until extremely recently.

Unfortunately I’m having trouble identifying commit gb08ed74cb to determine exactly how recent it is

Edit: Even trying to pass that partial commit hash directly to git commandline doesn’t find a valid commit…

1 Like

@Andy_Astbury1 @patdavid

From my point of view the differences, especially for making videos, are minimal.

Some bugs (little) solved, tooltips more respectful of conventions, translations for other languages (Japanese, Spanish, etc.), best builds (except MacOS…), and it was necessary to make all these modifications for 5.9.

Certainly these are important things at the communication level, but at the user level and functionalities it is essentially the same thing.

Jacques

2 Likes

Thank you Jaques :smiley:

@Andy_Astbury1
Of course, if you want to make videos in Japanese (by speaking it) and with the texts in Japanese, you have to wait for 5.9 :slight_smile:

Jacques

All the info I can get…

Looks like it’s a fairly recent build, commit date is October 7:

And I figured out why I couldn’t find this commit hash before: -gbo8ed74cb isn’t git hash gb08ed74cb (which isn’t even a valid hash now that I look at it again because g isn’t valid hex…), it’s -g for git and b08ed74cb:

There are some slight bugfixes between that and the final release:
Commits · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub has all commits made to the 5.9 release branch since that one - but not much

1 Like

You can omit the leading “g” (I guess it stands for “git”), so try just “b08ed74cb”?

Yup, figured that out once I had more caffeine in my system. :slight_smile:

It’s 17, right? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Nah. 10. :yum:

2 Likes

Touché :smiley:

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who know binary, and those who do not.

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks everyone.

Anyone have a clue why 74cb dev runs on my machine but 5.9rc1 invokes a crash report when I attempt to run it?