A retake on a old scene

So this is a retake on an old scene I posted here. This time the lighting is incredibly flat as it was a really overcast day as well as a little bit of fall colors involved. At least what was left of them at the time.

I also took this shot from a different point of view this time with my new lens. @s7habo really liked the original shot which I mistakenly cropped this time there is a lot more to it do to a much better location choice.

All the shots from this shoot were actually taken with shutter priority because I wanted a specific water look. They could have been shot aperture priority or manual I just happened to choose shutter priority that day even though I should not have. :smile:

In my process of trying to improve I am trying to learn exposing to the right and my above endeavors of shooting in a semi automatic mode even tho the wrong one gave me much needed valuable knowledge on the capabilities of my camera which will greatly help my manual exposures.

Edit: *
Here is my edit of the photograph. Hope you all enjoy this one it was a challenge.
I used this as a means to learn the new Filmic RGB/Tone Equalizer modules in darktable. Still learning a lot about darktable as well as I finally made the full switch away from Adobe.

• Added a bit more color punch and sharpening. Also hopefully the minor jpeg black artifact is no longer in the lower right corner. Replaced old jpeg with new one with the new xmp.

darktable 3.0.0rc0: 20191030-IMG_0064.CR2.xmp (12.3 KB)

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike.
20191030-IMG_0064.CR2 (31.0 MB)

6 Likes

I’m a sucker for streams and creeks… very nice image.

You’ve hit on a boon, overcast days make ETTR simple. But it comes at a cost - the light doesn’t help you get depth. So, your composition and the color become more important.

I didn’t do much different than your JPEG, including the crop. What I think is different is I put in a scooch of color saturation, looking to distinguish the foliage in the background from the foreground water. In rawproc; here’s the toolchain:

• group: The standard chain…
    • colorspace:camera,assign;
    • subtract:camera; - Your camera metadata says to subtract 511.
    • whitebalance:camera;
    • demosaic:amaze
  • blackwhitepoint:rgb,data
  • tone:filmic,6.20,0.01,0.70,0.10,1.00,norm -
  • saturation:1.30 - rawproc just has a HSL saturation, 1.0 is no-saturation. I could have probably done a little less, but I’m in a color mood of late…
  • crop:0.028369,0.000000,0.956059,0.927690 - Looks close to yours; the stream bank in the foreground distracts…
  • group:
    • resize:1080;
    • sharpen:1;

Edit: I think I crushed the blacks too much in the first rendition, so I changed the filmic B coefficient from 0.01 to 0.14, which steepened the toe of the curve. I changed out the posted JPEG with the new rendition.

5 Likes

20191030-IMG_0064-1.jpg.out.pp3 (12.2 KB)

4 Likes

Very nice edits. I actually pulled back on some saturation @ggbutcher maybe a tad too much but I felt some of my adjustments were pushing it a bit too far.

These edits seem to have a bit more depth if I compare mine to them I still look a bit flat. Thanks a bunch for the perspective good learning insights.

Made some adjustments and updated my original post. Hopefully much of the flatness is gone now.

darktable 3.0

20191030-IMG_0064.CR2.xmp (14.3 KB)

2 Likes

20191030-IMG_0064.CR2.xmp (22.3 KB)

1 Like

20191030-IMG_0064.CR2.xmp (6.4 KB) 20191030-IMG_0064_01.CR2.xmp (7.1 KB)

1 Like

I was so enamored with messing around with the color that I neglected the high values in the water, and they all got washed to white. I let my filmic curve top out too early, need to look at what would mitigate that…

Thanks for a really nice image from which to learn…

20191030-IMG_0064.CR2.pp3 (11.7 KB)

darktable 3.0.0rc0
20191030-IMG_0064.CR2.xmp (14,6 Ko)

To handle the whites from going ape while using filmic in darktable I had to keep tweaking the white exposure to compress things a little. I also made sure to stay on top of it while adding contrast. Not sure what your filmic can do but I did everything I could to keep that upper toe from flattening out.

1 Like

My humble take. With a different crop:

20191030-IMG_0064.png.out.pp3 (11.5 KB)

14 Likes

:+1: :+1: :+1: for your crop

1 Like

Very nicely cropped. :+1:

1 Like

GIMP. My attempt - not too different to the original - I tried to get a little more contrast in the water.

1 Like

old.scene.retake.jpg.out.pp3 (30.5 KB) RawTherapee (development)

Still working on my RawTherapee skills, with mixed results. This one came out rather nice if I say so myself…

4 Likes

That crop works really nicely!

1 Like

Here’s my take. When the light is flat some local adjustments can work wonders.
As usual I am very conservative on color. I always feel like it is too much until I compare it to other posts and then it look almost dull.:smiley:

So ART with some added local enhancements and a panoramic crop:
20191030-IMG_0064_ART-1.jpg.out.arp (16.9 KB)

2 Likes

@SLS141
I love the B&W version. There is so much detail in the shadows and I’m going to try and replicate this using the scene referred workflow as this is what I’m trying to use for all my processing now.

My take with ART

4 Likes