A way to turn off/on the tool tips?

Title says it all I guess :slight_smile:

Looked for it in RawPedia Keyboard shortcut section, the Preferences and did a search here on Pixls, but no cigar.

Don’t get me wrong, I really like the info that is given, but at times it can be too much of a good thing to be honest. A shortcut to switch them on/off would be nice.

Been trying out the new Local Adjustments section and they keep popping up, large ones at times. I know that clicking once will make them disappear, but move the cursor a millimeter and their back.

Now, lets just hope I did not overlook something obvious…

Imho we should open an issue on RT github to allow disabling tooltips in preferences.

Being the one that brings it up, I’ll create one.

EDIT: Done Feature Request: Ability to turn the tooltips ON/OFF · Issue #6007 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

1 Like

There has been plenty of discussion of tooltips in the past, people seem divided. I remember a recent issue on GitHub where @Morgan_Hardwood intended to get rid of (all/most) them, but I can’t find it again. See also e.g. Slider tooltips get in the way, move them to labels · Issue #2221 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub

Might not be a bad thing that I created a new/another issue for this. Maybe we can get this sorted out once and for all :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is a checkbox in Preferences for the Local Adjustments tooltips (Show Local Adjustments advice tooltips). Maybe this could be extended to the other modules?
Screenshot from 2020-11-24 22-30-26

3 Likes

I did notice that one in the preferences, and I do believe I made an ill choice to use the Local Adjustments section as example…

This topic and the FR on github are for a more general way to en/disable the tooltips.

This is a valid option. Not sure if there should be an entry for all individual tabs (7, not counting the Meta tab), or that it should be one settings that rules them all. I would rather see a keyboard shortcut being implemented, though.

I am aware that the amount of developers working on RawTherapee is limited, so I’m happy with this being done in the preferences section only. My lazy ass doesn’t mind the few extra clicks if I do want to temporarily see them.

But, please, do not remove the tooltips entirely. There’s info in them that can’t be found on RawPedia.

1 Like