Achieve the Masashi Wakui look

That’s nice. You’re in a libre graphics software forum though, and you’re not doing anything to answer Marek’s question…
Explain at least what you did.

Is there a way to reverse engineer Andy Young’s results from his adobe software, and apply to another image as a convolution ?

Maybe so :wink:

@Tatyana_S - So, what did you do to arrive at this result?

That’s awesome, dude. While I have no desire to reproduce this effect, seeing how you analyzed it, helps me to read the photo and get a better idea of how to understand what someone is doing if there is a look I want to emulate.

Also, the fact that you mentioned trying to emulate a film look seems to suggest that perhaps there may be a Photo emulation in RawTherapee that would get someone closer to this look as a good starting point.

1 Like

I downloaded the Ps actions that were linked in the tutorial mentioned above and ran them on my janky install of Ps in wine. They didn’t even come close.

This thread goes into his technique in great detail with Masashi himself chiming in to divulge his secrets.

Apparently, he works some black magic with the white balance in Lr and then corrects for it with split toning. He then applies a glamour glow and soft filter effect from the Google Nik plug-in and masks it off where needed.

My attempts at it in RT were abysmal, so I took a different approach by applying an afga preset and color toning. Here is the pp3

I then took it into GIMP and many layers and adjustments later:

(Oops, just realized I uploaded the wrong file.:blush:)

A little heavy on the vignette perhaps, but the closest I had the patience to get to. I have two large and very messy xcf files if anyone is interested.

3 Likes

I would also be curious how you postprocessed the image. Looks pretty good.

2 Likes