Adding a drawn mask to parametric mask removes entire mask

Have you tried to invert the mask?

Inverting the mask applies the adjustments to the entire image.

Fiddled with the “Combine masks” parameter yet?

I’ve never changed those options before but cycling through them:
exclusive showed no adjustment
inclusive made adjustment to the whole image
exclusive and inverted made adjustment to the whole image
inclusive and inverted showed no adjustment.

You can also invert the drawn mask only in the mask manager, and then maybe invert the whole mask, depending on what you want, you need to play around and try a few things. Eventually you will get what you want.

Thanks, but, I’ve been using darktable for years and have never had this problem or had to play with mask manager to get a single drawn mask to apply.

Sorry, David,

It seems to work as intended up here.
I am using dt 3.1.0+260. Might your version be
a trifle older (or newer???).

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I’m on 3.1.0~git265.843f2f261

OK, I’ll fetch it!

Not sure if this matters but when starting from terminal I get:
dave@dave-K55A:~$ darktable

(darktable:32032): dbind-WARNING **: 14:47:48.611: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

There are unassigned iop_order in the history!!!

image: 18236 module: collect version: 1
image: 18323 module: collect version: 1
image: 18237 module: collect version: 1
image: 40511 module: collect version: 1
image: 40512 module: collect version: 1
image: 40513 module: collect version: 1
image: 40526 module: collect version: 1
image: 40537 module: collect version: 1
image: 40515 module: collect version: 1
image: 40507 module: collect version: 1
image: 40548 module: collect version: 1
image: 40529 module: collect version: 1
image: 40531 module: collect version: 1
image: 40530 module: collect version: 1
image: 40527 module: collect version: 1
image: 40528 module: collect version: 1
image: 40525 module: collect version: 1
image: 40524 module: collect version: 1
image: 40522 module: collect version: 1
image: 40520 module: collect version: 1
image: 40521 module: collect version: 1

(darktable:32032): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:54:15.171: gtk_widget_set_sensitive: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(darktable:32032): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 14:54:15.171: gtk_widget_set_visible: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
dave@dave-K55A:~$

I fetched the 265. Works as intended, as far as I can understand.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

PS: darktable 2.7.0~git1504.a4d5069cb hangs; resolved with new database - #4 by martin.scharnke

Yikes! How do I rebuild my database?
Might that also fix my drawn mask issue?

Hi again, David. The “unassigned iop_order” message is exactly the one that I couldn’t resolve.
It seems to have something to do with collection of images settings in lightroom.
My only found solution was building a new database as described in the post that Claes linked.

In .config I changed the name of darktable directory to darktable.bac and restarted darktable, basically a clean install. Everything works as expected! When I copy over my darktablerc file it breaks. What have I done in the file that could be screwing this up?

Don’t know what you did, but you can diff darktablerc, its a text file.

Off hand, I presume you might have changed the order of the modules?

Or the devs might have changed it between versions.

I have not changed the order.
I found nothing in darktablerc that I couldn’t easily reproduce so I went with the clean install mentioned above and re-imported 2019. Previous years are on a backup drive so I will import those if I need to edit something older.

I bet it could well be a question of selecting an area with the drawing tools in order that the former result appears only inside the new selection, don’t you think ?
I know it can be too late now
but nevermind :slight_smile:

A bit late to the party here but I suspect the original issue is the well documented issue with the drawn mask opacity defaulting to zero (or having been accidentally reset to zero). darktable 3.0 masking inconsistencies & bugs - #2 by elstoc.

If your drawn mask has an opacity of zero it will always cancel out any effect of your parametric mask. Alternatives are to ctrl-scroll before placing the shape, which will change the default opacity, or change the setting in darktablerc to set opacity to 1 (while out of darktable)