Adding scripts to GIMP 2.9 in Ubuntu help

Hi, I’ve mentioned before that I’m new to Linux and Ubuntu, mainly so I can use the amazing Darktable. I have GIMP 2.9 installed as well. I have a number of scripts collected over the years that I want to copy from Windows to Ubuntu but I’ve no idea where to put them. Advice please and sorry for the dumb question.
I’m using Xfce desktop with Thunar file manager if that helps.
Thanks

You should have a /home/{your_id}/.gimp-2.9/ directory (aka ~/.gimp-2.9), with scripts and plugins subdirectories. Note that since .gimp-2.9 starts with a dot, it won’t be shown by default in your file explorer (or in the ls output). You have to tell your explorer to show hidden files (or use ls .*).

Or when in Nautilus just click strg+h to show hidden files.

I am not sure about Ubuntu, but in Debian(sid) the gimp 2.9 config files are in:
$HOME/.config/GIMP/2.9

1 Like

True, they could have been moved in 2.9. Actual location can still be found by starting Gimp’s python console (Filters>Python-fu>Console) and entering

print gimp.directory

Gimp 2.9 works the same as Gimp 2.8 You can always find locations Edit → Preferences → Folders

For scripts as previous ~/.config/2.9/scripts (1) and because I am lazy added ~/gimp29_script (2)

screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/n6JGYkj.jpg and that is Kubuntu 16.04

That helped! Many thanks

As a side note, I recently published this on www.gimp.org:

This is the best way to determine where/how to install assets for GIMP (including scripts and plug-ins).

3 Likes

Having also struggled to find the correct folder to install Gimp scripts in Ubuntu, it does make me wonder why we have to jump through hoops to do such a simple task. Linux should make this much easier to do.