Amazon S3 storage for uploads

I’ve enabled Amazon S3 storage for the forums. This effectively off-loads the storage requirements for uploads and images to Amazon instead of storing them on the VPS that hosts the forum.

This means that I am now going to look into allowing much larger uploads to the forum along with new filetypes. When I’m done we should be able to just attach raw files (and much larger images) to posts if we want.

I’m still testing some site settings. Stay tuned.

[edit] - Also - can I get some feedback from the @staff on max upload size? Nikon D800’s appear to be producing files around 75MB? I’ve set it to 100MB at the moment, but would love to hear other ideas…

I’m trusting folks to note abuse this. Please keep it on-topic and relevant.

3 Likes

To test, a 8.7MB image (2892px):

To continue testing, a 13.5MB .ORF file from the Florida Everglades:

PC311173.ORF (13.5 MB)

Which is the raw file for this shot of mine (14.3MB jpg):

The pixelshift RAW files (four images in one file) from my Pentax are around 130MB, and the full-frame Pentax K-1 which has pixelshift likely saves quite a lot more pixels than my K-3. (If getting-on-for-200MB files are beyond what is desirable for the S3 account, I’m completely fine with hosting my own RAWs.)

1 Like

Thanks! I’m thinking that you’re more likely a bit of an edge-case with filesizes that large, but I’m happy to accommodate. If you want me to host the files I’m happy to (within reason), so feel free to msg me directly and we’ll work something out. :slight_smile:

you’ve just summoned the devil :imp:

Yes, I agree it’s a bit of an edge case. (Though I’m pleased to see recent discussion does show that pixelshift is not entirely unique to me here. :slight_smile: ) I’m very happy to self-host any RAWs I may upload myself; I’m a web developer/HTML+CSS monkey and so have hosting set up. I only mentioned it in case you want to cover all RAW files in general.

1 Like

It would be nice to have a zoom control in the image preview.

[quote=“patdavid, post:1, topic:2624”]
Nikon D800’s appear to be producing files around 75MB?
[/quote]Mine are usually around 40mb for the 14 bit ones with lossless compression so 100mb should be totally fine.

1 Like