Android photography

Long time lurker here. I do usually post my work over at my mastodon account but I suppose I should share some work here. :slight_smile: Cross-disciplinary artist but currently working with a fair amount of photography. Darktable (with a side of GIMP, Hugin, Imagemagick and even Krita in some cases). One of the things I have been doing is photography through smartphones and really trying to explore the limits of what can be done with them. So here are a few examples of this from my trip to Iceland earlier this year that I have been slowly editing. These were edited in Darktable.

4 Likes

Great to see you finally registered an account! I follow you mastodon :slight_smile:

The last one is super eerie, it looks like the surface of mars or something. I really like it!

Welcome welcome!

1 Like

Could you give us some more information?
What phone have you used?
Which app for taking the photos?

2 Likes

You have the same username there I believe? (I think I have you on mutual follow). Thank you for the warm welcome! The account isn’t exactly new but will really make the effort to actually be active here this time. :slight_smile: (and now that I put this on writing I’ll really have to)

Indeed I have the same name at mastodon.social (I think??). I appreciate your open source efforts there!

1 Like

:slight_smile: All of this batch has been taken using LG V10 which is my current phone. I use (unfortunately) the LG’s own photo app that came with the phone, all 4 of these have been taken with that. I have experimented a bit and still do with Open Camera but there is this issue that LG’s firmware is not correctly exposing the higher ISO ranges (higher than 800) so they are not accessible to Open Camera. >.>

The aurora images were taken at 2000ISO, with 15 seconds and 8 second shutter speed. The other two are just quick shots from the car as we were traveling between Reykjavik and Westfjords… :slight_smile:

(oh and @paperdigits, that last image was right after a snowstorm that happened when we were there, so, while editing choices do highlight that side of it, those mountain passes did look otherworldly in person too. Definitely one of my favorite photos from that trip)