Anybody used a MintBox Mini Pro for photo editing?

I’m looking at the specs of these nifty little boxes (http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/mintbox/mintbox-specifications/), and it seems like it would be fine (despite use of AMD over Intel procs). My laptop really sucks for photo editing (it’s capable, but sluggish and the display sucks). I thought this might make an easy reasonably portable solution to be paired with a cheap smallish HDMI monitor at home and then whatever I can find on the road (hotel TV with HDMI output?). Just curious if anyone has any actual experience with these boxes…

Many build their own. Personally, I have an old ZOTAC but I have heard good things about fit-PC. Subjectively, I find that AMD configurations have more overhead than Intel ones.

Glad to hear you’ve heard good things about fit pc. My main issue is that I’m having a hard time finding a Linux laptop with a good display at a reasonable price. I used to use System 76, which has great hardware, but it’s too expensive. I currently am using a Chromebook converted to Linux with Gallium OS, which was really affordable, but has a terrible screen. I’m now wondering if a mini pc like this is a way to get good, portable hardware that I can pair with a decent screen of my chosing. But maybe it’s just too inconvenient and I should save up for a better laptop…

I tried this at two points of my life when I was without a laptop and it is excruciatingly inconvenient. The good thing about having a laptop is that you don’t have a headless device with you and it has a battery. The fact that you have a laptop makes it better but then you would be bringing two devices, or three if you include a smartphone, etc., and their power bricks and / or chargers. I also tried transporting a screen but there is a risk of damaging it.

Wow, thanks for detailing what it is actually like! Now that you describe it, it really does seem very inconvenient. I guess I had my head in the clouds a bit, and was distracted by the small size of these units. I suppose they are meant to really just be used at one location, but not take up a lot of desk space… Unfortunately, a reasonably affordable Linux laptop with decent specs and that doesn’t weigh a tone does not really exist. Probably chromebook conversions remain the best bet. It seems that current generation chromebooks with Skylake processors are now supported in Gallium OS by a custom firmware update. That might be where I look too next. The real pain about chromebooks is the tiny SSD’s they ship with. They can be upgraded for not too unreasonable of prices, though (it was about $100 for a 128 SSD replacement for my this Acer C720 I am still using, and probably much cheaper these days).

Why not look at a used Thinkpad. I got my x220 for $220 on eBay. Not a fantastic screen, but workable if you calibrate it.

Used might be an option, but I always worry about buying used tech since they are built with planned obsolescence. How long until things start failing, and the replacement costs add up to what you would have paid to buy a newer model? Not saying that this WILL happen, but the likelihood is too high for my comfort level. My current laptop still works, but one of the reasons I want to find a replacement is because I’m getting very nervous that it’s going to fail soon.

Looking around, it definitely still seems that Chromebook conversion is the best way to go at the sub $500 price point. It seems that the Asus Chromebook Flip will have all the most necessary specs, including touchscreen for local edits: http://m.thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-chromebook/. It’s already reasonably well supported by the GalliumOS kernel, except for internal audio, which is nearing support: Skylake Platform Validation · Issue #274 · GalliumOS/galliumos-distro · GitHub. Actually, there is way more hardware support for this model at this stage than there was for my C720 when I first bought it. I’ll probably wait until the holidays to see if there are any good sales, but I think this is the one I’ll go with. Thanks for all the input!

Thinkpads are built for business and there is a healthy 3rd party market (and first party market as well) for parts. I’d say your general observation about planned obselence is true, but not so much for thinkpads.

Specs wise, I think my x220 kicks the crap out of all Chromebooks.

Whatever happens, make sure you budget for a nice monitor to hook it to… I don’t know of many laptop screens that are great for photo editing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Isaac By the ThinkPad X220 Specs, it looks like there are two screen options, so keep that in mind. Quick Googling tells me that the weight is approx. 5 lbs. Is that too heavy for you? Is that why you are considering Chromebooks? You would have to add a bit of heft for a decent budget laptop. There is no getting around that. Fortunately, laptops are lighter than ever nowadays. Nothing like:

:robot::rofl:

1 Like

Is that a panini press?

@afre and @paperdigits I’ve defintely gotten spoiled with my 3.2 lb Acer 720! Having had 7 lb spec’ed out laptops for years, traveling with a thin and light computer has been a revelation. I travel a lot, so portability and long battery life is at the top of my list.

I do love thinkpads, and I used to use them myself for years (first one bought back in 1999, actually!). In fact, I bought my wife a ~$500 ThinkPad E-series last year, and it’s great. Great display, good battery life, fast processor, etc., and right on price point. But these more affordable ones are just so freekin massive that I can’t fathom it for myself. It’s fin for her since she just uses it at home, but “portable” is not really what I would call it. Their ultrabooks are portable, and are drool-worthy for sure, but cost upwards of $1k.

They did have a good compromise in the Thinkpad 13, but it is not currently available. The X270 (current version of your X220) looks pretty darn good, and weighs in just under 3 lbs. It l comes in at ~$800 at minimum configuration, but the IPS display puts it over ~$1200. :frowning: One potential solution might be their forthcoming A series that finds savings in using AMD procs. The specs aren’s massively better than the Chromebooks in the same pricepoint, however.

BTW How is linux kernel support for Lenovo devices these days?

Oh, and while I agree that an external monitor is needed for real photo edits, I still think that laptop needs a display good enough to edit with “on the go.”

I think a refurbished/ used laptop would be a better bang for the buck. It will be heavier than a mini boxe or a chromebook but it comes a screen (any screen is better than no screen), a battery, a keyboard, a touch pad and DVD.
I bought a used Latitude e6420 for $200 around10 months ago, replaced DVD with an extra hard drive, added extra USB ports to the express card slot and installed Linux on it. Latitudes are heavy and don’t have a great screen but they are rock solid. I usually do culling sorting tagging etc. when on the laptop screen and plug it in to an external monitor when post processing pictures in darktable.