"ART" as a name ensures zero discoverability

Discover Another RawTherapee: reach a new target.
dart

(sorry @agriggio …)

10 Likes

Hmm… I thought we already had this discussion. @agriggio Congrats on being so popular. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It seems common for open source developers to hobble their project with a poor software name. “Art” as a title is going to be impossible to find and it comes across as having a grotesque ego being named after a word that represents the entirety of creative endeavor. I rarely find myself rooting for an open source project to fail but in this case I think I am. If the goal is to create RawTherapee with a simpler interface, and I think that’s a worthy goal, then I would rather RawTherapee itself be updated to provide that improvement.

Just because you don’t like the name? I mean, root for whatever you want, but a more constructive action would be to start submitting PRs to RawTherapee…

Oh, and “ART” is an acronym, sufficiently distinguishable from the word “Art” in my view. Or, you can piss off the legions of Arthurs in the world…

4 Likes

You seem not to have read Alberto’s take on this, earlier in this thread: he doesn’t care if the “general audience” doesn’t find his software. And that’s his prerogative.

3 Likes

That’s pretty rude and seems uncalled for.

If you’d done any reading or research before sharing your mean spirited and terrible opinion, then you’d know that RawTherapee won’t remove tools, to preserve backward compatibility. So the removal of tools won’t happen in RT, hence ART.

7 Likes

I did read Alberto’s take before I posted, he is being stubborn in favor of a bad decision. Perhaps I am too harsh on him though, it’s his fork and his choice. I think it’s a stupid name though.

The RawTherapee project doesn’t have to destroy their current interface to simplify things, they could add a feature that lets users switch to a streamlined interface. Though if RawTherapee devs are really so stubborn they won’t ever streamline their UI then that project probably needs to be replaced with a better fork, but not if the fork is just going to have the same stubborn response to user feedback.

You fail to realize that in the world of open-source software, trying to change the direction of an existing project without a fork is like trying to herd cats.

3 Likes

I think you should fork RT and show 'em (RT team and Alberto) how it’s done.

4 Likes

I wish I had the time and health to start my own fork. I’m stuck working a full-time job to maybe eventually afford a place of my own, and in my off hours I have to rest my hands from programming because I have four different autoimmune diseases attacking them regularly. The last 10 years the area I’m in has had housing prices go up faster than I can save money, thanks to an influx of tech workers and the Fed’s decade-long fiscal policy that rewards gamblers and the wealthy at the expense of the working class.

We are all in a similar place in life, that’s why you comments about “rooting to fail” etc are not well received. Despite a full time job and life responsibilities, others make time to do things, only for you to come and shit on them.

3 Likes

No, not everyone is in the same place in life. Some people live in countries with public healthcare, many weeks of paid vacation, shorter weekly working hours, affordable housing, etc. If people working on open source software have to suffer for the process then maybe they need to stop doing work on open source.

OK you can be a special snowflake then. Please keep your negative comments to yourself.

2 Likes

Now you understand why making a living is so difficult for artists!

I don’t see what you’re getting at. I spend quite a bit on artists that I like, supporting half a dozen on Patreon and buying artwork directly from artist websites pretty frequently. Honestly my lack of savings is probably tied a bit into how much I spend on artwork. It’s actually a good time for artists in the world, the Internet makes it easy to gain attention without the olden days gatekeepers picking and choosing who would gain fame.