ART feature requests and discussion

Yeah sorry Alberto. I’ll wait and see if Patrice wants to discuss it further :slight_smile:

For those who build with MSYS2.
After last Mingw64 updating, I had to downgrade to:

mingw-w64-x86_64-libwinpthread-git-9.0.0.6118.ea40a87a-1
mingw-w64-x86_64-winpthreads-git-9.0.0.6118.ea40a87a-1

2 Likes

I wish Sharpening used masks. Marking the background would avoid making high ISO pictures worst with little detriment. Currently, the biggest issue is two low contrast places compete: the low contrast detail, and then the ISO noise. 100% of my ISO files would look perfect if Sharpening was a local adjustment.

Hi,
sharpening has a built-in contrast mask (inherited from RT, thanks @heckflosse) that can be quite effective in achieving what you ask.
If that is not enough, you can emulate sharpening with the texture boost tool using low values for “detail threshold” (down to the minimum) and moderate values for “strength”. Then you have all the masking you want.

HTH

1 Like

Hi @gaaned92, there was an upstream issue which has now been fixed. Running ART should be possible again with the latest MSYS2 updates.

1 Like

Still playing around with ART, and I discovered when you right click on a picture in a directory directly from the window manager of the OS, and do “open with… > ART” there is no way from that ART/RT window to go to the file browser, you do need to close ART (or not, but you will have 2 sessions) then you need to go to top bar in a corner click > applications / graphics/ ART to open it in FULL MODE which is quite counter productive IMHO as so many clicks and mouse movement are involved just to be able to switch to the file browser.

So my request is to have a button in that special editor window when we right click / open with… (which should not appear in normal mode) allowing us to open ART in normal mode.

something like this (see mockup below)

Idea, this button load/does NOTHING on the opening of ART when we right click → “open with” but when we click on it it only closes the current window and opens ART in normal mode.

You can edit the “open with” script to remove that flag that forces the editor only mode, or you can add your own “open with” script that does as you please.

1 Like

Thank you @paperdigits for your input, but I don’t know where it is

Hi @agriggio,
I wonder if is possible to make the sliders behave like darktable: the color bar extend from zero, not from left; if the zero is at center, minus extends to left, plus extends to right.
the actuale mode is disorienting: the color bar grows always from left, even if the zero is at center.

Screenshot at 2021-03-18 21-42-09

Screenshot at 2021-03-18 21-44-59

I think darktable uses a custom slider implementation to achieve this (but I’m not sure). I’ll have to see how easy it would be to “steal” their code…

Thank you! :wink:

@agriggio, just a little question. I found a little bug in the parametric curve. It is present as well in RawTherapee where I filed a bug report. Do you want me to report that as well in Bitbucket - ART - Issues?

Is it possible to have “presets” per module, especially the color equalizer, the channel mixer… ?

I have tried to use the profiles to store my presets, but after a dozen, I need to keep a list of which profiles applies to what…

Something similar to darktable would be fantastic.

Thank you

1 Like

You can use subfolders to organise your profiles as you like…

1 Like

Yes of course. As Alberto advises you, you can create folders and sub-folders to have for example: Exposure> expo1 / expo2 / expo3 or even: Noise: 200iso / 400iso / 800iso etc … Your values ​​will be easily scrolled with the mouse

Like this…

Hi @agriggio

I have two small questions that emerged in the french forum.

• either on W10 and on Linux, ART or RT are not able to access drives located on the local network. Some other applications ( VLC, handbrake,xnview, audacity on W10, and GIMP and DT on Linux) can access the network. Do you know from where comes this limitation?

• In the editor in "single editor mode, when you use the icones copy and paste profile, you can only paste profile in edited image.
    On the contrary, Ctrl/v permits to paste the profile to multiple images in the stripe.
    Do you know if it is possible that the paste icone works the same as Ctrl/v?

Thanks Alberto

Hi,

I don’t know, sorry. I don’t use the feature, so I’m not really sure what is needed on the GTK/GIO side to enable this.

I’m not sure I understand, can you show me an example? Thanks!

• In the screencast hereunder, I have 4 images, one with profile and 3 without
  • I copy the profile to the clipboard with the copy profile icone
  • then in the strip, I select the 3 images without profile
  • I paste the profile the clicking on icone “paste profile from clipboard”: nothing happens
  • then I enter Ctrl/v on keyboard; the profile is pasted on the 3 images

Hope it is clear.

@gaaned92 At least in RT paste profile from clipboard in editor only affects the image in editor, while ctrl-v affects the selected images in filebrowser/filmstrip

It’s the same in ART. My question was: is it possible that past profile from clipboard in editor behaves the same as ctrl-v with minimum modification of the code as it is not in my opinion very important.