ART version 1.0 release candidate 1

Ok, scratch what I wrote earlier. I deleted the config folder to start from zero, and now the performance is on par with that of RT. Sorry for the noise.

I attach a video showing redrawing artifacts in detail views.

vokoscreen-2020-01-08_23-11-09.mkv (2.5 MB)

I took only a fast look at the first videoā€¦ but i think a written text could be fine together with the video. Especially to inform an user what is it possible to do with those masks.

e.g. i think it could interesting to to make the sky darker (i havenā€™t understood how), to add blue to the sky (color correction seems it could do it), to use more noise reduction on the sky or on ā€œuniformā€ areas compared to the whole image (i havenā€™t found out how). To make a face softer (smoothing seems the tool). To use an S curve on the eyes (i havenā€™t found out how). Or to remove a bit of dirt on the sensor (the same). I still have to find out what is possible i think some
example in the manual or in the front page could be interesting.

Thanks for the video. Itā€™s the same thing @heckflosse is experiencing, but unfortunately I havenā€™t been able to reproduce this here. Until I succeed, thereā€™s not much I can doā€¦

And I agree with you, it would be nice to have a written manual ā€“ if only there was someone willing to write it :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

But briefly:

to make the sky darker

color correction with a proper mask

to use more noise reduction on the sky or on ā€œuniformā€ areas compared to the whole image

denoise with detail threshold, or smoothing with a proper mask

To make a face softer

decrease local contrast

Or to remove a bit of dirt on the sensor

this is currently missing. Smoothing can sort of work, but itā€™s not quite meant for that. GIMP is better in this case.

1 Like

Strange saturation curve. When I tried to reset a saturation curve I obtained a ā€œSā€ curveScreenshot_20200109_101551
Thatā€™s was not the case in previous versions. Do I have a wrong config file somewhere ?
Thanks for your suggestions.
SM

Itā€™s my mistake, sorry. Will be fixed soon. Thanks for reporting!

Thatā€™s really the utility of a RC :blush:

Hi,

I finally managed to reproduce this, and I think I have fixed it now.

3 Likes

Fix confirmed.

1 Like

Better practice would be:

mkdir build
  cd build
  cmake ..

etc.

2 Likes

I have just tried with a m43 picture, and i have found out that lens-camera combo isnā€™t recognized, whilst on Raw Therapee 5.7 is.

Here a sample: https://we.tl/t-jNLI2PDnRC

@agriggio thank you for all the explanation!
@jtappin i have already compiled next version it the way you suggested, thank you!

thanks, Iā€™ll take a look

As it works here on W10, I suppose either ART cannot access the Lensfun DB or the lensfun DB is not up to date.
If you try "profiled lens correction/manually and you fetch for your camera/lens, do you see your gear?

Is RT5.7 an appimage? In that case I think lensfun DB is bundled in the build.

note: the vignetting correction seems completely off

1 Like

@ggc
Available on ubuntu 18,04 (KDE)Lumix

1 Like

I experienced a crash. What can I provide to help you? Iā€™m on Windows and using ART 1.0rc1-5-gf67518114

I was editing a large picture and the whole application closed down.

can you share the picture (also in private if it canā€™t be posted here) and describe the steps you were performing? alternatively (or in addition to that) you can try generating a backtrace as described at How to write useful bug reports - RawPedia

I canā€™t seem to reproduce it, so I wonā€™t be able to get a backtrace.
Iā€™ll send you a link to the photo privately along with the .arp file. As for what I was doing, I think I was navigating in the Inspect mode and moving between 1:1 and fit to window (although I canā€™t remember exactly!).

I already noticed crashes that happen at random and very rarely. As I was never able to reproduce, I did not feel able to report. I can do long sessions without crash. Never happens in batch.

FYI, the crash reported by @europlatus was related to the inspector, not the editor. Itā€™s fixed now, though with a workaround that will need to be rethought after 1.0 is out.

If you see crashes in the editor, they are most likely unrelated, so still relevant if you are able to reproduce them.

Hi All,
ultimately Iā€™m trying Artā€¦
On RT I used to use local contrast,microcontrast and wavelets to have more crisp effects ( I think my gear gets some dull images).
What other sharpening tool can I do on Art besides sharpening UM/RL tool?

Hi,

You can have a look at local contrast and texture boost in the ā€œlocal editingā€ tab

1 Like