Authentic retro look -- through reference objects?

Well, I cannot offer an authentic capture of an IT8 from the 19xxs – but perhaps we could work something out nevertheless? @Morgan_Hardwood

My idea is that you look through your slides to see if you have captured any well-known object that was made/printed with close colour tolerances.

A few examples of suitable objects:
A yellow Kodak box/logo/envelope (search for KODAK Publication Z7-1 to see the specifications).
Heinz tomato ketchup (search for Heinz visual identity guidelines)
Car brands, McDonald’s, Burger King, gas station logos, food store chain logos, sport teams…

However - beware that the company’s guidelines may have been tweaked a little since you caught their logo on a slide. Coca-Cola, for instance, is known to have changed during the decades.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

2 Likes

Great idea! I can also look through my slides and see if I can find anything useful.

One question is how would you go about using this information? Say I have found an old picture with a Heinz bottle on it. I know the RGB values in the picture, I might know the RGB values for the actual logo. But I would need to know under which lighting conditions this picture was taken, to have any clue how to ‘reconstruct’ the original color. Right?