Autumn effect for portrait in greens in Darktable

Hello friends,

I have made a new style for Darktable in frame of artistic color grading.

This time it is “Autumn effect for portrait (skin tones) in greens”

Inspired by https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm6z9nIA72c&t=0s

Photo Credits
https://pixabay.com/en/kids-baby-the-son-dear-1508121/

I have applied two channel mixers in different modes and color zone module for final touch on colors.

Darktable style attached
Autumn_from-Green_Portrait.dtstyle (1.5 KB)

Enjoy!

13 Likes

Thanks Sergei! As far as I understand, the method kills greens and turns them into red -ish and yellow-ish tones. Firstly instance blends in lights and, the second amplifies the effect, right?

and look how nicely it gently renders skin-tone!

Wow, really nice. Could anybody make a HaldCLUT of it, so I can try it in RawTherapee?

1 Like

I found by experimenting that second channel mixer make skin tone more pleasant.

@Benja1972 (or anyone) could you apply that preset to this HaldCLUT identity TIFF, save the result as a 16-bit TIFF and upload it back again?

Aha! Now I see what you all mean
Done
download (7.1MB)

Here’s an attempt to get a similar effect in Rawtherapee:

The pp3: autumn_greens.pp3 (10.1 KB)

3 Likes

Close! Nice!

Still reds of T-shirt and lips less saturated in Darktable (that’s why I add second channel mixer and adjust colors in color zone)
Moreover you have some greenish halos where hand cross grass

Yeah there are some problems, though I prefer how the skin is rendered with less purple hue shift in the darker tones.

Yay, the HaldCLUT renders it identically in RawTherapee as the dtstyle does in darktable, including that nice desaturated highlight on the face, though I now see that the original style leaves some room for improvement - the sclera have a strong magenta tint.

HaldCLUT:

1 Like

Very nice! I think the the sclera magenta tint is inherited from original where it has greenish-blue reflex.

Two cold-blue variation of the same image. Styles are attached. i found them quite interesting for artistic color grading.
Enjoy!

Cold-from-Greens-portrait01.dtstyle (957 Bytes)
Cold-from-Greens-portrait02.dtstyle (646 Bytes)

2 Likes