Backlit grasshopper

Here is a macro shot from today, fully processed with PhotoFlow.

Taken with a Nikon D300 + micro-nikkor 60mm, naturally backlit by the setting sunlight - no flash or reflector used.

The processing in a nutshell:

• ICC camera profile for “portrait” Nikon style used as the starting point
  • custom WB, slightly cooler than daylight preset
  • a slight S-shaped RGB curve to increase the contrast
  • bilateral-blur based local contrast enhancement + unsharp mask at 1,5 pixels radius
  • a bit of vignetting on the bottom-right corner
  • healing of some distracting elements and hot pixels
  • final cropping

The final result (CC-by-sa):

What do you think?

Thanks for looking!

14 Likes

Very nice! I like the antenna very much, the way they pull you back towards the subject.

The background may be a bit too dark for my taste.

1 Like

So delicate! I love the translucency and the sunlight shining through. I personally like the dark background so I focus my attention more on the grasshopper, but that’s just me. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very nice, and I agree with Pat about the background. Personally, I would have liked a hair more DOF so that the ends of the antennae would be more in focus. All very subjective, of course.

2 Likes

An excellently crafted shot, created by someone who knows their way around a camera.
You’ve even got a little catchlight in the eyes :slight_smile: :

The dark uncluttered background is essential to showcase the grasshoppers light green body.

The antennae being soft isn’t an issue as the DOF is so narrow when doing macros.

If I view large there is a bit of noise in the background, but then the image was never meant to be viewed large :slight_smile:

Cracking shot

Have a nice day, Phil

1 Like

@paperdigits @patdavid @elGordo @Phil_Howcroft

Thanks for looking!

I have another one with a brighter background, which I still need to process… will post it here later.

For this shot I intentionally kept the aperture quite large to get a fast shutter speed, because I was shooting hand-held and there was a bit of wind shaking the subject here and there… and I have learned the hard way that a bit of out-of-focus areas are much less disturbing than a whole image degraded by micro camera shake!

My D300 at 400ISO already shows some noise… that’s the disadvantage of the 10 years old technology. However, I think the noise was enhanced by the sharpening and local contrast, so I’ll try to apply them selectively and see what it gives.

The noise isn’t an issue in the image. Just a little observation.

I have an old Canon 450D and that gets a little bit of noise in less than ideal conditions.

I have also read that RAW files tend to be quite noisy anyway (on here when I was having a whinge about noise)

Have a nice day

Very good shot which demonstrates why I don’t like flash in macrophotography.

1 Like

Well, RAW files are not more noisy than in-camera Jpegs… I think that most of us tend to use less aggressive noise reduction on the processed RAW files than camera manufacturers do with SOOC Jpegs.

Wonderfull shot and great PP!!!

1 Like