Base curve presets not working in version 2.6.2

My understanding is that I should be able to left click on the ‘presets’ icon in the base curve module and choose any one of the listed presets by scrolling down to it with my left mouse button depressed, then releasing to select that curve (Nikon like, Sony Alpha like, etc).

In my installation of darktable, there is no evidence of change in the image upon which I am working. Is this feature broken or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Caruso

It works for me with the flatpaks, I’ll check the snap package in a bit.

Doesn’t work like that for me on win7. I have to click to display the list then click again to select an item.

It works as @Marctwo said, click the hamburger menu, release the mouse button, then click on the desired preset.

Well, on my system, I was not able to scroll down to any selections in the list if I released the mouse button. If I released the button, the dropdown menu retracted.

I have since removed 2.6.2 from my system and re-installed 2.4.2, and now selection of a base curve preset works as you describe.

I will hold off on 2.6.2 until the bugs get worked out. Perhaps there is another version I can try, but haven’t seen one in my Ubuntu package manager. 2.4.2 does what I need for now, and it is working.

Thanks for the replies.

Caruso

One of the wonderful things about free software is that you can run the version that works for you. I’m not sure if this was a conscious change, a bug, or behaviour inherited from newer gtk libraries.

paperdigits:
You statement is so true. I love exploring new applications. In my early experience with Ubuntu (one of my exploratory steps off the beaten Windows highway from back at version 6.x) I came across Gimp and have watched it develop over the years. I had an old version of Photoshop running in Wine. It ran perfectly, except some of the ‘command’ keys were reversed (Ctrl-click to select clone source instead of Alt-click in windows). I purchased Lightzone when it first came out. Loved that application because it was effective, easy to use, not expensive to purchase, and ran natively in Linux (it is now open source). I don’t remember when I first tried darktable, but remember thinking it was overly complicated, and I could not get anything accomplished with it. I felt the same about Lightroom on the Windows side - never could see why it garnered such glowing compliments from its users. One weekend, since I had Lightroom, I decided to knuckle down and figure out what all the fuss over it was. It didn’t take long until I was making most of my RAW file adjustments with it leaving very little to finish up in Photoshop. When Gimp 2.10 installed darkroom automatically on my system as the plugin to open RAW files, and, having already ‘mastered’ Lightroom, I decided that the time had come for me to figure out this ‘enigmatic’ piece of software. Times have really matured in a great way for users of Linux and open source software. Gone are the days when one had to pick and poke to decipher the workings of a piece of software. A quick search for tutorials brought me to a series by a gentleman named Hutton, a series that had me working productively in darktable in no time. I have always marveled at what a wonderful piece of software is the Gimp, especially as one can use it free of charge. Darktable seems even more wonderful. I have used many Raw converters, some open source, others for which I paid. Some of the paid applications are very good, but I have yet come across an application offering such flexibility and so many tools most of which can be used with its outstanding masking features.

I will probably re-install that snap version to see if the base curve tool will work. As you say, open source makes this sort of experimentation easy. Go to the software center, click to remove one program, and, from the same window, selecting and installing the alternate version. I know I could seek other versions from a PPA, but have a lot of images to process, so don’t want to go there at this time.

When I browse various fora and read posts by users touting the greatness of their proprietary applications, I think to myself that, while they are justified in their pleasure, and free to express it, I am lucky to have an acquaintance with the open source world where there are tools every bit as wonderful.

Thanks for your post, and to all, have a great day!

Caruso

Caruso