Basic semi-automated style for darktable 3.0/filmic

This is not an explanation, just a clue to where it came from.

This is an imitation of the technique used for video editing in the film industry.

This is also used in the Blender, for example.

Here is a description of the technique:

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/compositing/types/color/color_balance.html

3 Likes

@s7habo
Would you be willing to post the edit you did on the woods scene here? Or maybe it is posted somewhere else? Although Aurelien was in favor of a more subdued approach, I liked what you did.

IMG_6453_01.CR2.xmp (12,8 KB)

:call_me_hand: Thanks very much.

I can’t get it to load; I am running darktable-3.0.1-win64.exe. Your thoughts?

Ah! My mistake. I use developer version. I don’t think that’s gonna work.

I appreciate you’re trying. I have been studying the work of the others and am learning a lot. I figured out where in Pixels they are.

Hello Aurélien P.

When will it be updated with Filmic V4?

Argh, users never sleep. I suppose it’s not really needed with filmic v4 anymore. Need to think about that.

5 Likes

I assumed that the setting of auto-applying scene-referred took it’s place.

Thanks for answering

Is Auto-filmic - Aurélien Pierre.dtstyle recommended to use in 3.2.1? Or does it interfere with the display-referred mode?

What would be best practice here?

1 Like

filmic isn’t for display refered mode, it’s more geared towards scene refered mode.

Best bet would be to refrain from using it in dt 3.2.1 since scene refered mode pretty much automatically does “the good thing” ™. (But I’ll let @anon41087856 correct me :wink: )

1 Like

I think it will interfere with the resulting output, yes, because then you’ll have both filmic and base curve activated, which is contradictory in terms.
Either you choose to work in display referred mode and do not use filmic, or you choose scene referred.
At some point, I was applying the style 95% of the times, so I choose none mode (since the style would be activating filmic and some other modules anyway).
Now, you should be aware that the style is not using the latest filmic version, so, if you change it to 4, I guess you’ll have to tweak it again.

1 Like

Instead of just using a style it’s better to understand the tools. So have alook at

5 Likes

My question was about 3.2.1
T tried the first method of the first link with dt preset to ‘none’ and ended up with a near black image of a daytime picture.

Obviously this ain’t working. So what does work?

IMHO darktable lacks a quick start guide. That’s why many try it for a few Minutes and remove it. It’s probably too complex to be intuitive.

The descriptions are also valid for dt3.2.
If it’s not working for your image it’s hard to find the reason without the image and the history stack in the xmp file.

Here is an older A7 one, RAW

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iOJcte2qJjUB2s4vo5WX8QW-4-ADus2m/view?usp=sharing

…and my shot at it:
3.2.1 display-referred preset
filmic applied with no setting
exposure auto

then some color balance, local contrast, contrast equalizer for sharpen&denoise preset

It works, but I wonder about the best way with the different dt presets.

just opening it with development setting to no → is far away from being black - just dull like each raw file without any further processing.
step 1: activating filmic bring up exposure (just automatic exposure control) as described
step2: a bit of more staturation and contrast like described brings even more
step3: some local contrast (default setting)

far away from “near black”

In the first link it ask for set white and black point in filmic, this is what I get:

So this method seems not to be applicable in 3.2.1

A workable 3.2.1 method seem to be:
Preset: none
filmic: ON (no other change)
basic adjustments: Auto

This seems to get me a very good starting point to go further, I made this a “basic_start” style.