Best RT settings for Nikon D5500

Does anyone have a good ICM profile for the Nikon D5500 and a list of other settings you have used to get a good starting point in Raw Therapee? I’ve found some threads related to this, but the links are all broken because they refer to the old forum system. (Wrong colors and contrast after RAW import)

I Finally upgraded my old Nikon D50 to a D5500. Now I’m trying to get the most out of the raw output. Nikon’s Capture NX-D software is too confusing and I like the general concepts of RT. I’d like to use RT and go deeper, but I’m having a tough time finding a good starting point.

Thanks!
Phil

Go for DCP input profiles rather than ICM/ICC input profiles profiles, ICC camera input profiles for the latest camera’s is almost legacy/obsolete and difficult to find one, the more accurate ones are DCP profiles.

Now , as I have said DCP, you know where to find one!:wink:

I like old native ICM profiles for Nikon cameras. See Rawpedia how to get them.
(You can try to extract and use D50 profiles).

http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_get_LCP_and_DCP_profiles
http://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/How_to_create_DCP_color_profiles

1 Like

Can you point us to some of your images or post sine examples? Then we van recommend some tools and starting points.

Bingo! Thanks Morgan! Using the Adobe “Nikon D5500 Camera Standard.dcp” profile with tone curve and look table plus a bit of sharpening perfectly matches what the camera and Capture NX-D produces. This gives me a good starting point from which to tune the image.

-Phil

1 Like

For my D90, I’m using the Adobe Neutral profile. This gives me more flexibility than the Standard profile. Specially on recovering highlights.

I agree. Standard gives me the same starting point as the camera defaults, but Neutral is a more realistic image and is what I think I will be using going forward.

Nikon D5500.zip (32.9 KB)
Try our these processing profiles. I created these for my Pentax K-50, but they should give you a pretty good start. Keeps a little of the grain at higher ISO, but also keeps fine detail. (^o^ )