Better Noise Reduction

im really frustated on how to remove those strange artifacts in the sky, because i remove luminance noise and little chrominance noise to mantain green colours, but if you match the reduce artifacts in the sky at wavelets you loose all detail at some zones. here is the photo
IMGP8890.jpg.out.pp3 (12.3 KB)

@nikomoral You only posted the pp3 not the image itself. Could you still do that to make clear what you mean exactly?

IMGP8890.DNG (14.1 MB)

hello @nikomoral. What kind of artifacts do you see in the sky? I do not seem to see anything odd in the following:
IMGP8890.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)

if you want only the sky to be denoised, you can use “locallab - denoise” and put (one or two) spot on the sky.

I just tried, it works well

@nikomoral Have you tried playing with the “Blur radius” slider just beneath the “Contrast threshold” slider in sharpening? It seems to do just that.

1 Like
  • RCD+VNG4
  • wavelet levels : edgesharpness + final touchup for local contrast
  • sharpening USM : use of Heckflosse method by viewing sharpening contrast mask : threshold set at 85, halo control, amont 867
  • sharpening : Blur radius 1 to filtyer out noise in flat aeras
  • no denoising

IMGP8890-1.jpg.out.pp3 (11.7 KB)

@sguyader thanks, but how and what is that¿? im spanish and configured RT in spanish and i dont find it local lab denoise

@nikomoral Do you have the local lab version of RT installed? If not, you can find it here: Local Lab build - #638 by dngimage.

@nikomoral

As says @afre you have “local Lab build” or if you compile the branch “newlocallab”

The principles evoked by @sguyader and @gaaned92 are good, and uses the very good algo realized by @heckflosse . In this case all solid areas are concerned by the modification, but I think if noise contain chroma, it will not work as well

Local denoise is quite different, it acts on noise (luma and / or chroma) but in a local area and in taking into account color differences.

jacques

ufff, as a windows (dislike but) user, i have downloaded and installed the file RawTherapee_newlocallab_5.5-621-g3a43f0056_WinVista_64_190212.zip but i dont notice any change and i dont know how it looks like, my version of RT is 5.5, my apologgies if im bothering

No problem, we are here to help. What do you have problems with, specifically? If you scroll down a bit from my link, you should see a link to the manual; unfortunately, you might have to translate the French into your preferred language.

thanks @afre, specifically i have problems with feminists courts, but photography is less problematic, as a pixel peeper i want maximum detail at lowest iso (like anyone) but it cant be done with a k50 and kit lens xDDD
ill try to install well

Although I’m French, my version of RT is set to English. Here’s a screenshot showing the “Blur radius” slider, in the “Sharpening” tab:
Screenshot_2019-02-13_13-51-42

thanks to all, I just discovered where the artifacts came from in the sky, I have had a resounding success reducing only the chrominance noise and later eliminating fringing, that produced a perfect blue sky without noise i think when demosaic method only have blue information tends to produce magenta-purple or cyan little halos or dark zones wich ruins the sky, and then blur radious makes outstanding results reducing luminance noise.
Here is how it looks like
IMGP8890.DNG.pp3 (12.4 KB)

Where do I find the “False color suppression steps”?

1 Like

@argumon it’s a setting in the Demosaicing section. A slider below the border option.

It’s the last option here on the bottom.

Don’t fight hot pixels with False color suppression! Use the hot pixel detector or (even better if the hot pixels always are at same coordinates) use a .badpixels file for the shots of your cam.

1 Like

Meet my good friend: RawPedia. It has info on false color suppression, hot pixels and more!

3 Likes

Got it, many thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like