Big Boy pulling into the station

DSC_0673.NEF (8.9 MB)

Here’s my take on it…

DSC_0673.NEF.xmp (5.8 KB)

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.

Can’t wait to see what people who have a clue do with it.

James

5 Likes

DSC_0673.NEF.xmp (5.0 KB)

Nice pic!

I like the colour of the spectators, the trees, and the yellow wagon, because they contrasted with the black of Big Boy. I tried to get detail in the reflections from the boiler and the wheel/piston/con-rod area, but got a little fringing with some of the steam.

1 Like

I like how you got the reflection

I’m posting mine as a screenshot to show you my curve:

These beasts have a rich, dark black that just deserves to be dragged to the floor. That second control point from the left does that, makes the darker areas darker. The third point lifts the lighter areas and adds overall contrast.

You took good advantage of a good vantage point, nice composition. I cropped it a bit, but that’s really just discretion, your original framing is good.

2 Likes

I should hope so I got there at 7am for a 12:30 arrival and even then it was a 1/2 hour late. LOL

He’s headed back on the 17th and I plan on heading about 1/2 hour out of town and chance him down the tracks and get some of him in the “wild”

OK question?? What are your modules on the left? Mine are on the right??

@martin.scharnke Too crunchy for my taste. I would mask out the effect on areas that aren’t a part of the subjects.

Agreed @afre, it was a quick-and-dirty edit. @ggbutcher’s comment about emphasizing the blacks more also points at the shortcomings of mine.

I went for a little “postcard from yesteryear” look, using RT 5.6.

DSC_0673.jpg.out.pp3 (11.7 KB)

Might I suggest you try to get a shorter shutter speed next time? 1/50 is quite slow and there is clear motion blurring going on, which is a pity when capturing such an awesome machine :slight_smile: It should be very easy to use f/8.0 instead of f/11.0 without much loss of depth of field, or crank up your ISO to 400 or something without much loss of detail and introduction of noise.

2 Likes

DSC_0673.NEF.xmp (8.0 KB)

Own adjustments + João Almeida’s darktable Presets: Foto Antiqua

5 Likes

I think you’ve nailed it! Very nice.

Just like @Thanatomanic, I also felt that the image and its content lend to a old post card type processing. Here is my attempt using @partha’s latest 2.10.10 (which allows RT 5.6 as the default raw processor, yay!)
DSC_0673.NEF.pp3 (11.9 KB)

3 Likes

Love this image. Totally worth the wait. Unfortunately, the motion blur softens it quite a bit. Zoom and enjoy!

PhotoFlow: minimal linear no-clip with lens corrections.
G’MIC: filter pixels, curves, dehaze, softlight, clarity, vignette, resize.

2 Likes

Great photo, great machine. I tried to bring out some details of the engine.

DSC_0673.NEF.xmp (20.5 KB)

I really like this part:

1 Like

Yeah I don’t own a tripod. I tried to bend down and rest my elbow on the railing of the bridge I was on, but with over 6k people it was hard to take a deep breath. LOL

You should have increased ISO and open aperture in order to gain shutter speed :slight_smile:
Rule of thump 1/(focallength x crop)= 1/450 in your case, to achieve… :innocent:

And here are my two attempts:

DSC_0673.NEF.xmp (9,5 KB)

DSC_0673_01.NEF.xmp (10,9 KB)

3 Likes

This is my attempt.

I wanted to center the view on the engine, to show the shininess against the black body.

Developed in RT 5.6

DSC_0673.pp3 (11.2 KB)

2 Likes

DSC_0629_01.NEF.xmp (5,7 Ko)

@Jokersloose, here is an interesting article for you to read before your next attempt at capturing the Big Boy.

2 Likes

Rawtherapee neutral profile and a fuji film emulation in g’mic

DSC_0673.NEF.pp3 (11.7 KB)

2 Likes