Black, white and a door

I photographed something very plain last Friday that I would like to share here. I like the simplicity of the composition. This is something that I am increasingly striving for.
[It’s a detail of a chimney in an old Manor House].

12 Likes

Oh, I really like this one!

You mind if I give 2 points of critique…?

No, please go ahead.

I really like the simplicity and the subtle monochrome shades in this one. Very nice.

Two things I do find distracting:

1. The 4 (5?) blacks/dark spots. I think it would be cleaner, and in my opinion better looking if those are removed.
  2. The image seems to lean to the left. It is partially an illusion because the left side of the door is vertical, but have you tried rotating it clockwise just a tad?
1 Like

Yes, that might be. But I decided to leave “realty” untouched this time. The black spot on the top right is bug, by the way. You can only appreciate it at high resolution, but I lie it.

I’ll try that. But I might lose the bug :cry:.
Edit: bug at higher resolution
Bildschirmfoto von 2022-02-14 13-53-57

1 Like

Try using GIMP/Krita. You can rotate on a fixed, self set point (the bottom left in this case). Then crop from there. This might leave the bug in place and “corrects” the leaning illusion.

EDIT: Like the framing too.

Just gave it a quick try: Normal rotation will do the trick, you only need a very small amount of rotation and you could use a small amount of shearing.

Anyway: Enough comments from me. Great shot and nice framing!

Very nice and subtle! The play of the shadows is great.

I agree with @Jade_NL this is in need of a crop and removing all the little black spots from the white. I’d use a square crop if it were mine.

I might also see what a bit more local contrast in the highlights looks like, to get some of the plaster texture to come out a bit more.

1 Like

I also tried a square crop first, which looked quite nice. But in the end a decides against it.

Better?

4 Likes

I like the original better. IMO the others want things too neat and perfect in an almost OCD way, whereas everything feeling just a tad off in the original helped make it more interesting. That said, this is not my style of photography, so I am the wrong audience.

2 Likes

Yep, I think it is.

1 Like

I think there is potential for more contrast. Excellent motive for b/w.

1 Like

Thanks to everybody for the comments and suggestions. I have thought about removing the black spots as @Jade_NL and @paperdigits suggested. But I find digital images are becoming increasingly “clean” and I’d like to keep a little more “character”. Also, the imperfections do have texture in higher resolution and give the image some „individuality“. Concerning the rotation/perspective correction issue, I actually like the revised version. But again, it appeared a little to perfect to me, so I agree with @Soupy in this respect. As stated already above, I played in earlier versions with a square crop as also suggested by @paperdigits. But I wanted to keep the long slant and the left corner. Otherwise the image might become to simple and “perfect”. I didn’t want to change the (local) contrast either, because I just like the slight shades of gray in the shadows. So again, I did not follow the proposal of @st.raw and others here.

Overall I’m probably pretty stubborn here but the discussion has made me think again intensely about what kind of photos I want to take.

Thanks a lot for that.

2 Likes

In the end the best image and edit is the one you like best. Nothing anybody can take away from that, especially after careful consideration of possible alternatives.

I do appreciate you taking the time and effort to look at the “tips and hints” given by me (and others).

1 Like

That’s great, sometimes you consider something new and decide against it. What is important is that you make that consideration again next time, that’s how you improve.

1 Like

Nice picture. I was curious what some extra contrast on the door would be like. I think it adds to the geometry -

1 Like

Nice shot, I really like the tones and the simplicity.

I like the idea of having more contrast on the door, and I was also thinking that it might be interesting to play with global contrast to emphasize the different planes of the chimney walls. In my imagination, that and a square crop could make it look like the door is sitting on a folded sheet of white paper - but those are just the surrealist voices inside my head! :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, great work and thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Something like this?

Edit: 5 min edit starting from the JPEG posted above

1 Like

yes, exactly!

brighter whites could be nice too, letting the image fade (or almost) into the white background, something like this:

Just a quick question: are we actually allowed to edit images that are not part of a play raw and licensed accordingly? please let me know if that’s not ok, so I can edit the post and delete the image.

1 Like

I think it is better to edit only images that are under a free license. But I as the author have no problems with it in this case :wink: .
Thanks for your suggestion.

1 Like