Bringing current darktable to OS X

darktable has been software of my choice for raw photo development for quite some time now, I’ve occasionally submitted bug reports and patches and kept an eye on current development by using git master version. My main operating system is Linux, which is the priority target of darktable support, but recently I bought MacBook Air to take with me on trips and such. Also my current project at work consists of porting a library to OS X, so this presented to me as a great opportunity to contribute to one of my favorite open-source projects and make darktable work reliably on Macs.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.darktable.org/2012/08/bringing-current-darktable-to-os-x/

A few notes:

• You need to run git submodule init and git submodule update before building and installing.
  • I also had to install the pugixml package with MacPorts

I haven’t got it running (a slew of GLX, GLib errors…), but I’ll file a bug report and see what the devs think.

To compile openmp enabled rawtherapee I use clang 3 9 1 (MacPorts); it is compatible and ships with libomp, and I go a step further and uninstall libomp and build libiomp5 in its stead. libomp might work ok for dt though. To get openmp support, I set in the environment variables the compilers to clang-mp-3.9 and clang++-mp-3.9

I like the two dots after “cmake” ))
Thanks all the same. :slight_smile:

the current description ist darktable/BUILD.txt at master · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub

if you want to build for m1 then have a look at

or

Thanks.

Is the glib library something of a non-hombrew installation?

brew update && brew upgrade brew install adwaita-icon-theme cmake desktop-file-utils exiv2 gettext git glib gmic gphoto2 graphicsmagick gtk+3 gtk-mac-integration icu4c intltool iso-codes json-glib lensfun libavif libheif librsvg libsecret libsoup@2 little-cms2 lua libomp ninja openexr openjpeg osm-gps-map portmidi pugixml sdl2 cmocka curl perl jpeg llvm po4a
mkdir ~/src cd ~/src
git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable.git cd darktable
$ ./build.sh --install --build-type RelWithDebInfo --prefix ~/bin/darktable-dev

– Checking for -std=c++14 support - works
CMake Error at cmake/modules/LibFindMacros.cmake:272 (message):
REQUIRED PACKAGE NOT FOUND

We could not find development headers for Glib. Do you have the necessary
dev package installed? This package is REQUIRED and you need to install it
or adjust CMake configuration in order to continue building darktable.

Relevant CMake configuration variables:

Glib_INCLUDE_DIR=<not found>
GlibConfig_INCLUDE_DIR=<not found>
Glib_LIBRARY=<not found>

You may use CMake GUI, cmake -D or ccmake to modify the values. Delete
CMakeCache.txt to discard all values and force full re-detection if
necessary.

Call Stack (most recent call first):
cmake/modules/FindGlib.cmake:40 (libfind_process)
src/CMakeLists.txt:296 (find_package)

How to change this configuration in cmake, nobody knows?