Building Filmulator

I hope to try Filmulator someday. Building software is not meant for me so I applaud everyone’s efforts. Not having room for Linux on my Windows machine might make the wait a lot longer :laughing:.

One click conversion in a preset i made in Lightzone with a quick zone mapping. all in all less then one minute of pp. Anyway, couldnt get much out of highlight reconstruction because LZ isnt very strong in that department, tho i like LZ colors more. Filmulator’s are kinda palish. Could you add some warmth to te pic and repost? :slight_smile:

The Filmulator executable needs to know where the QML (user interface) files are, they’re interpreted. So you need to cd to the directory with the QML files before running the executable.

Thanks, @CarVac, for the explanation. While I understand the problem, I wonder if this is a limitation of the build process. Shouldn’t there either be absolute paths or some other method to determine the resource file locations provided during the build/install process and therefore end up in the package?

Well, I suppose I could point at an absolute location in the main C++ code. Maybe I’ll try to have it check if the main QML file is in the current directory, for development purposes, and then if not there look in /usr.

I warmed the WB up to 4778 and boosted saturation to 39. The colors still don’t match, but they’re richer than in @Jud_Johnson’s version. (Lifting the Shadow Brightness slider tends to reduce saturation, that’s probably why the colors were less strong.)

I notice that Filmulator has a lot more local contrast in the faces; that’s probably just the tone mapping doing its thing to preserve local contrast while reducing global contrast.

Cool, it really does a lot with not much fiddling around curves and such… Any heads up if noise reduction and more robust lens correction (like in RawTherapee) will be added in? :slight_smile:

I can only say “when I get to it”…

I didn’t mess around with any color work. My only goal was to try out the drama, shadow and highlight sliders. The reason why Lightroom (and Adobe products) is the standard is because of it’s ability to handle shadow and highlight data. Well, that and speed. It is very quick in how it works. If you want to compete, your product needs to be able to compete with that.

I see this kind of comment a lot and in a lot of places. I don’t think filmilator or anyother free software project aims to compete with any Adobe application or any other free software application for that matter.

Well, that thought has been in the back of my mind that Filmulator might be more approachable than the other editors when it comes to easily getting good basic results, and thus it’ll make it easier for people to decide to switch to Linux where Adobe products are unavailable.

I just try not to say it outright because that’s kinda pretentious and I frankly don’t have the time for feature parity while maintaining my intended level of UI polish and consistency.

@paperdigits, I followed your instructions on linuxmint-18.1-mate-64bit but the green button is disabled. Maybe it has something to do with

You won’t be able to build until you have all the dependencies satisfied, that is correct.

First time using Qt Creator. Looks like it needs qmlscene to build.

qmlscene shouldn’t really be necessary. All that does is let you preview QML UI’s without needing the core application.

That said, I don’t know why it’s not installed.

That is correct. I retraced my steps and was able to build Filmulator without qmlscene. I also increased my swap space and was able to run Filmulator without low-RAM problems.

Bug? At certain zoom levels, the preview image is blurred (stereoscopically) like print misalignment or a broken screen, which is annoying for me since it happens at the Fit level.

1. What do you mean by “preview” image: the low-res thumbnail that’s loaded (in the dev branch) before the pipeline completes for the first time?
  2. Blurred? Stereoscopically? Broken screen? I don’t understand. In the dev branch, It’ll be fairly blurry until the full-res picture loads, and then it’ll be sharp at all zoom settings.

Post a screenshot in a new thread, since it’s no longer on the topic of compiling…

Hello @CarVac et al. I have a somewhat similar issue…
I am trying to make a docker container (kd6kxr/filmulator) run filmulator, but I keep hitting the error:

Got keys from plugin meta data ("QSQLITE")

QFactoryLoader::QFactoryLoader() checking directory path "/usr/lib/filmulator-gui/sqldrivers" ...

loaded library "/opt/local/Qt/plugins/sqldrivers/libqsqlite.so"

dbSetup old version: 9

Error: your root item has to be a Window

container is based on:

|Description:|Ubuntu 16.04.5 LTS|
|Release:|16.04|
|Codename:|xenial|

I have tried the suggestions above but it seems to not get the qml to open?
I think I am not setting the enough environment variables. If APPDIR is not set to anything the QtQuick stuff cannot be found.

So the APPDIR environment variable is there solely for AppImages; Filmulator appends /usr/qml/main.qml to the environment variable and looks for it there.

If you don’t have that, there are two more places it looks for the qml/filmulator-gui/ directory that holds all the QML source files:

1. In the directory where the executable is
  2. In /usr/lib/filmulator-gui/.

See this code here.

For items 1 and 2 I am not able to get past the Error: your root item has to be a Window

I did utilize that APPDIR part to get the mac bundle to see the right place.
- qmlfile += "/usr/qml/main.qml";
+ qmlfile += "/Contents/Resources/qml/filmulator-gui/main.qml";
With APPDIR defined as ../.., the root of the bundle relative to the main executable in Contents/MacOS/