I think I’ve posted about this in the past (for 16.04 probably), but I just heard from Nathan Haines that the contest is open now for submissions to have 10 photos and 2 illustrations shipped as default wallpapers in Ubuntu 17.04! This is part of their Free Culture Showcase and I really encourage everyone to get involved! It’s a great opportunity to get your work out there and help their community!
We have been involved in the past and had quite a few images accepted from our community members, so it would be awesome to do it again.
As before, their rules for wallpapers are:
We’re looking for photographic wallpapers: lovely backgrounds that greet the user on Ubuntu’s welcome screen and at login, and provide a main color for the Unity Dash! We’re also looking for an illustrative wallpaper that plays off the theme of the current development release (for 17.04, that’s Zesty Zapus).
- Images shouldn’t be too busy and filled with too many shapes and colors, a similar tone throughout is a good rule of thumb.
- A single point of focus, a single area that draws the eye into the image, can also help you avoid something too cluttered.
The left and top edges are home to Ubuntu’s Launcher and Panel so be careful to consider how your images look in place so as not to clash with the user interface. Try them out on your own desktop; see how they feel.
- Try your image at different aspect ratios to make sure something important isn’t cropped out on smaller/ larger screens at different resolutions.
- Take a look at the wallpapers guidance on the Ubuntu Wiki regarding the size of images. Our target resolution is 3840 x 2400. This might result in a centered, 1080x1920 cropped image on Ubuntu phones, so keep this in mind!
- Break all the rules except the resolution one! Big Grin
- Submissions should have a human-language title and the description should give the author’s name if not entered as a display name on Flickr.
- The submission must be licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike or Creative Commons Attribution license.
- As an exception, we will consider images licensed as “Public Domain” that are submitted to this contest as being under the Creative Commons Zero waiver.
- The submission must be submitted by the author of the work.
- All submissions must follow the Ubuntu Code of Conduct.
- No more than two submissions in each category.
To enter, submit your images to their Flickr group: