Can Anyone Help With GIMP?

Is anyone here familiar with GIMP? I am unable to find a way to save jpg, obj, and other files I was used to in PhotoImpact13.

Hi, try File → Export.

https://docs.gimp.org/2.10/en/gimp-export-dialog.html

3 Likes

From the menubar, File > Export. There is a drop-down at the bottom of the dialog window for selecting the extension (jpg, png, etc.) or simply append to the filename.

Regards.

2 Likes

‘save’ will give you the opition to save as gimp’s native file only.
You need to export your image to save as other files.

1 Like

what are the chances of finding someone familiar with Gimp in a group dedicated to… Gimp? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think newcomers, beginners deserve a nicer welcome. Susan (SSheehan_54) is not familiar with our forum, and originally posted her question under ‘Processing’. I moved to the Gimp category – I’m sorry, I did not indicate that (I was typing on a phone, hence my own terse reply).

2 Likes

This is the right forum to get help. GIMP is an excellent alternative to paid software such as PhotoShop. I have Photoshop, but prefer to use GIMP. If you want to develop RAW files try programs like Raw Therapee and Darktable. But GIMP and Photoshop programs are suitable for JPGs, Tiffs and graphic design purposes. Welcome to the forum. Also, I am a regular user of GIMP, but have book marked the user guide for my own use. As a person new to GIMP the user guide will be even more critical. Here is the link. GNU Image Manipulation Program

2 Likes

i did put the smiley face to keep it light. just a bit of fun. although it does feel a bit off to ask in a gimp forum if anyone knows anything about it :slight_smile: it’s a but like going into a garage / auto repair shop and asking if anyone knows about cars… But welcome Susan :slight_smile:

1 Like

Another resource is http://www.gimp-forum.net/ if you are looking for a strictly Gimp forum.
But I find between the Gimp Forum, and Pixles I can usually find the answers I need.

1 Like

Thank you, everyone! I resolved the issue, but your tips are excellent!

2 Likes

You could have tried pressing F1, or opening Help->Help, or visiting 5.7. Export File too :wink:

Hi Ulrich! Thank you so much for your time. I have resolved this issue, but I really appreciate your help :slight_smile: