Can someone point me to the CSS snippet that controls the look of text in the preset dropdown of a module...

Hey everyone. I am running DT on WIndows. I find that the base darktable.css theme shows the selected preset in a module in bold so it is easy to see the currently selected preset…in the grey themes and it seems others this is not the case…I took a quick look but not being a CSS expert couldn;t locate the difference esp since some of the themes import one of the others with only small changes…anyway if anyone knows the answer I would appreciate it and likely it should be updated in the actual official releases…

Darktable.css seems correct and I was hoping to edit the grey theme to restore this

works fine for me, using the darktable-elegant-grey theme. What version are you using?

I did not try to find this particular CSS snippet, but for the reference and maybe help you find the difference, you can run darktable with the GTK inspector.
And that one can help you finding the CSS selector that is related to what you are searching for.
For example on my linux machine, I run: GTK_DEBUG=interactive /usr/bin/darktable.
Some info here: The GTK+ Inspector – GTK Development Blog

@elstoc @Oleastre Thanks guys I try… Chris I have noticed it a while back but just lived with it…certainly for me only the darktable.css then highlights the selected preset…I’m on windows and tried it on current release and 3.3.0+895~gcbb2b1dbf . I’ll build again today and try something newer…maybe i will go to the source and copy the css and see if somehow I have corrupt ones??

Edit: for me Darktable.ccs and Darktable-icons.css work as expected with the selected preset bolded…the other themes import darktable elegant for example Darktable-dark theme is a blend of darktable.css and grey elegant and that seems to break the display of the selected preset being bold…I’ll have to see if I can see what it might be…

Ya I have tried a few things. I can’t identify what that element would be labelled , ie combo box text or whatever so I guess i will have to stick to the standard theme to see presets highlighted… @anon41087856 has done a great job inserting comments in the base theme so I thought I might be able to track it down but I could not find it. I thought it might be the font but I have the roboto font installed so no idea…

Just a thing: last CSS official release and comments is mainly my work (I’ve tried to cleanup and comments as much as possible by avoiding overloading CSS code), based on great big work made by @anon41087856 last year, with the help of some others developers like @elstoc for example. About what you ask, it’s clearly not CSS related. The tag for preset list and text is ‘menuitem label’ but there’s no CSS tag for activated preset that allow to use CSS. It’s hardcoded with Gtk and so it’s always bold, in all themes (as it’s not CSS related, it’s not theme related). So what you have is strange. Are you sure that the preset is correctly selected/activated in grey theme?

On my side, in last master and grey theme that I use, see what I have if I select like you neutral (neutre in french) preset in basecurve:

2020-10-19_21-59_1

Just an add: I see you use Windows and say that you have that issue only in elegant themes. Those themes use Roboto fonts. Do you have all Roboto fonts installed and usable, especially here bold ones? Do you see bold issues elsewhere in the Ui in elegant themes?

Thanks so much …ya no idea then where to look ….darktable.css and darktable-icons.css work fine the others don’t??

Sorry for missing out on your contribution……it would be interesting to see if someone else has that issue on Windows??? For me its on more than one machine as well so interesting….

@Nilvus Looks like i do…image

Indeed, you have all needed Roboto fonts. So, it could be a Windows issue. I can’t confirm as I’m on Linux and as you can see, text is bold in grey themes (and same in all themes). As CSS are made and with all work made this year to make all themes consistent between, no difference should be seen between themes, for what is CSS made of course.

@priort: I’ve just read better (and check more carefully your screenshots) and it’s probably font related. Indeed, the only difference is that darktable.css (and darktable-icons one) use OS fonts as elegant themes use Roboto fonts or other ones set in darktable-elegant-darker.css (grey and dark one point to darker theme to set same font). But it’s not a CSS issue but maybe something on how Gtk in Windows deals with several fonts set.

I agree it must be around the font some how…if I sort it out I will report back thank you for your insight

Regarding the screen shots I had tried to enable and disable the use system font size just in case there was something weird going on with that so maybe that is what you see as I had set it to 11. I also came across this so font handling could be an issue I suppose maybe this is not reinvent I wish I was more qualified to comment further… CG on GTK Release Notes

If you want, you could create an issue in darktable Github with all infos we had about fonts in Windows and the link that you just add. Ping @Mark-64 in Github as he worked on improving the UI, especially in Windows (I can’t do that as I don’t use Windows ; and don’t like it).

Thanks I may do that ……these days I have to use Windows as much of our work at the university is using Teams etc but I have recently installed DT on wsl2 ie the windows linux kernel. I installed Ubuntu 20.04 on it and installed darktable …It runs and builds fine on this setup. Currently there is not official support for desktop linux so to run GUI applications you need to set up a remote desktop to access it and support the display but it is really not hard to set up ….I think by the new year windows will support fully the linux desktop so it will be nice to have the best of both worlds and you can access the files directly on each OS and no dual booting so it is quite convenient….

Be careful, wsl2 is using rdp and Wayland to serve up those graphical apps, which means that color management will be shoddy at best.

Thanks for that I would not have known …it was more for troubleshooting and proof of principle. I edit on the windows install…thanks for the tip