Canon CR3 metadata

Hi, really like the work you are doing with this software. Having just switched fully to Linux I really appreciate having something that works with my Canon M50 files. I was just wondering if you were thinking of implementing the same set up for CR3 file reading as in the ART program, which I believe uses Libraw and exiftool and reads the metadata of the CR3 files. Having tried ART I prefer Rawtherapee as you do a better job with the sharpening side of things

Cheers
Jason

2 Likes

As I’ve seen CR3 meta data are tagged as “milestone 6.0”. Wouldn’t it be better to have this feature already in 5.9? V5.9 can open CR3 files, but without reading meta data it’s still incomplete and dynamic profiles are impossible. To use these, I have to convert the CR3s first to DNG. Which forces me first to boot Win to use Adobe DNG Converter (the DNG converter from digikam is for Canon RP buggy: works for darktable but not for RT) and then back to Linux because RT is there is faster.

I haven’t tested it yet, but my understanding is recent wine will run the adobe DNG converter, would keep you from having to do boot-badminton.

Or, and I’m not at all sure how this would work (or not) in practice, but you could possibly use ART (a recent RT fork) while waiting for RT. Others will have to weigh in on this, but the .xmp files should be at least somewhat compatible… ?? Also, I don’t know if ART supports dynamic profiles.

Just thinking aloud…

I installed wine/adobe via aur - doesn’t work. May be they used V14. I’ll give V13 a try with the help from rawpedia.
And partially working with art would result in having to maintain two programs for the same purpose. ART and RT use some different tools, so there might be a point of no return.

Yeah, the wine changes to work with DNGConverter were recent, may not yet be in the distros.

You’re experiencing the essential dynamic of open-source softwrare: a slower pace of deployment. With only so many developers essentially doing the work for free, new things don’t make it to the releases as quickly as from a paid team of devs working to a deadline.

It may seem daunting or work-intensive, but building RawTherapee from the source is really not that hard. Get/unpack the source code tar.gz, install the dependencies (IIIRC, the build instructions give a command you can just copy/paste), then run three or four shell commands to get the executable.