Can't edit certain images?

I can open and edit images, for the most part, just fine.

But there are certain “film rolls”/folders, where I can open them in “lighttable” mode fine, but when I double click to edit it, it goes into darkroom mode, and the main editing area is gray and says "loading image DSC_0961.NEF … " forever. It never loads.

Reboot and closing and reopening doesn’t solve the issue. I can go into lighttable and switch film rolls and edit those fine. But at the moment, there are two rolls that I can’t edit because it is “loading” the image forever when I try to.

v 3.0.2 on Mint 19.3

Suggestions?

Welcome aboard!

Did you ever open the “bad” NEFs with Nikon software? If so, have a read of this and see if it applies:
https://exiftool.org/fix_corrupted_nef.html

2 Likes

I haven’t opened them in anything other than Darktable. I don’t have any nikon software on my computer. Both problem sets are taken with the Z6 ii. Original Z6 images work fine. I will test and see if I can get any Z6_2 images to open.

UPDATE: This might be an issue with the Z6 mk ii camera? It seems all the Z6_2 have this issue where the Z6_1 images open fine. I can also open Z7_1 images OK.

1 Like

Since the Z6ii is a very recent camera, and you’re using an older version of darktable, it isn’t going to open the files correctly.

2 Likes

I believe it uses the same sensor as the Z6, so you can edit the exif data to say it’s the earlier version camera. Some reviewers do that for testing purposes before software has support.