Can't load ICC profiles....

because I can’t find the files I’m supposed to put them in!

Tried going to my C drive in File Explorer (having checked the show hidden folders box) and looked for /share/darktable/color/in and simply could not see it. Being very stupid, I’m sure but…

Of course if we solve that, I’ve forgotten where the damn profiles live in Windows …

Pity the poor incompetent. And please talk him through what to do…

The directories you looked for and that are mentioned in the docs (here) aren’t there by default. You need to create them if needed.

I’m a Linux user so I cannot give you specific Windows related locations, but this is basically what you need to do:

• Create the part that is “missing”. I had to create color/in
  • Copy/move the icc profile into that directory

Now darktable should be able to pick up the added input icc(s). If not: You might have to activate the unbreak input profile module.

The above is for input profiles, if you have output profiles you need to create color/out.

Aha…thanks, that makes sense…I tried Create New Folder and it didn’t seem to work, but I see the general direction of travel…anyone able to talk me through the steps on Windows?

C:\Users<your user>\AppData\Local\darktable is the config directory, you should create the folder color inside that, and then in one level deeper. I think. :wink: I mostly use Linux but have installed darktable on a Windows laptop as well (but I do not use icc profiles there).

Thanks, this is the screenshot…the folder icon looks different to the others…what am I doing wrong? I just pressed new folder…sorry for being so annoyingly stupid…

That looks good so far (that yellow icon signifies a folder), but you need to create another folder inside that color folder:

• double click on color (enter it),
  • when inside color create a folder called in
  • now drag and drop your profile (icc file) into that in folder.

Not sure how proficient you are with Windows, but this might be helpful: How to Create a New Folder in Windows 10

GOT IT! Final step was input color profile, which I will of course have to change back :slight_smile: once I’ve finished with this job - it’s basically making monochrome portraits with strong natural light work well printed on a Japanese paper…and filmic and RGB color balance are prefect for that.

Thanks VERY much for your help.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

That’s not needed, though.

The profiles that are in color/in (or color/out for that matter) are only used if you tell darktable to do so, be it by manually selecting them in the module or creating an auto applied preset for certain specific cases.

So just leave them, they aren’t big and might come in hand somewhere in the future.