Captions sometimes saved in raw, sometimes not

Also, you settings- metadata- advanced. Have you changed anything there? (You should not)

I see “wroteComment : false”
Ism wondering why is that…

Could you share a sample image by chance? Any raw file which digiKam can’t add a caption to will do.

Yes, using 6.0.0. No metadata-settings-advanced changes.

Renaming old xmp sidecar & creating a new one worked.

The DeBugView still shows “wroteComment=false” even though my captions now show for the raw file.

Well, the captioning is getting wonkier & wonkier. I accidentally gave the raw file a star rating, and that wiped out my caption. I tried giving my jpg a star rating, and THAT wiped out the captioning too.

Not sure why the write caption feature is so fragile. I’d written captions for 2500 files and many of the captions are missing now. Would it help to download a new digiKam to see if its caption feature works better?

It probably DOES have to do with “wroteComment: false”.

Well, if you are using 6.0.0 release (not beta) it is the newest stable version available.

I would suggest to create a bug report in bugzilla. The developers will ask for sample raw files though.

Should “unify read and write” be checked?

I don’t think I ever changed any advanced setting in Metadata section. But it won’t hurt to try. Please back up your images and the database files before doing that though.