Color calibration guidance needed

Curious as to the sources, and why one is so dark and one so bright?

If you are a beginner I would recommend you not to use the LUTs, or that you use them only when you are already able to process your photos very well. Your Photos must already look good without LUTs.

There is a fundamental misunderstanding of what LUTs are for.

They are not a magic tool to quickly make a bad or poorly processed photo look noble without much effort, but after the photo is already well processed (white balance, contrast corrections, etc.), to give it a certain look in the end. Their primary function is to give the photos a device independent uniform look as the last link in the processing chain.

LUTs are also very static alterations that only work on certain subjects/moods.

You will get much better results if you adjust the shaping elements (brightness, contrast, colors) yourself to the corresponding motif.

That’s why I use the LUTs very rarely and sparingly.

It depends on the color space for which they were made. Normally the PNG LUTs (and most of the others you can find on the web - if not explicitly mentioned) are made for sRGB, so they should be applied after the filmic.

3 Likes

IMG_6405.CR2.xmp (9.6 KB)
Dt 3.7

2 Likes

I searched for Mackinaw Island images. If you copy the links, you can see the original web address. One came from Wikimedia and the other from Amazon CloudFront.

The first one, with the longer shadows was taken, I think, early in the day; hence, no horse manure residue on the street. The second one I think was from the afternoon, and the street is mostly brown. I think they wash the streets at night.

Looking at the images again, the first was taken in harsh, clear sky sunlight, the second under a cloudy sky with softer sunlight.

My take with RawTherapee Dev. I used one of my presets and did some tweaks and adjusted the the white balance.

IMG_6405-1.jpg.out.pp3 (16.3 KB)

My artistic take on it. Although I think the brown color is probably correct, I decided to keep what gray I could for the street using a mask. I also chose to use color balance rgb for correcting the rest instead of color calibration, for no better reason than just because.

darktable-3.7.0+731
IMG_6405_03.CR2.xmp (37.4 KB)

I like the color of Jacques’ (@Jade_NL) best, followed by @yteaot, but I like the sharpness of that edit best. When I compare mine to those, I see it is too blue.

To be honest: I did not bother with the (chroma) denoise and sharpening at the time. So, here you are: new and improved, now with sharpening and denoise (12.2 KB) :wink:

BTW: Doesn’t seem to have changed all that much since I was there roughly 40 years ago. That big grand(?) hotel still there with the nice view of the bridge?

EDIT: Just had a look on OpenStreetMap: Yep, still there. Its even called Grand Hotel…

Yes, improved. Nice job. I really like your edit.

Probably the only thing that has changed on the island is the people working there. We had a package trip and stayed at the Grand for the first time. They treated you royally.

the link to the LUT at the link below at the picture with the airplane

2 Likes

Which colour space are these LUTs designed for?

hmmmmm…

no idea.
i use it in the DT standard profile.
I have the LUT usually relatively at the end in the pipeline

I think the top one looks realistic and if I was worried about the lighting on the pavement I would WB on the white line on the road along the bikes. Its in the same light as the pavement…then warm it a bit to taste…

Using the sidewalk behind the man and boy front right or using the white lane boundary

on the road I get something like this with the road being around 149.147,147…so fairly grey going that route…

1 Like

@Colin_Adams

Quote:

The K-Tone LUT is expecting Log footage as input.

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I plugged “Fuji Velvia 100 Generic.png” into lut 3D, but I get a message that is an invalid png file. It’s the only Velvia 100 file I see.

@Underexposed
Hmmm… Works fine here.
dt version? Operating system?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

I ran into a message like that back when end it turned out that the permissions (and/or owner ) of the file were not correct. So: Check the owner and/or permissions of the file…

It appears to be an effect of that xmp file only. I started from the raw and used the png file with out a problem.

It’s recommended to expose to the right, when using the modern workflow. This image is obviously underexposed by at least 1.5 stops. The whitebalance is a little heavy on the blue side and maybe a tat too much magenta also. Adding a bit of yellow would surely warm up the image. Are you using filmic rgb? In case you do, it is important to get the WB and exposure straight beforehand.
Good luck and nice summertime-shot!

The key to accurate colour is to examine the greys and neutral areas - blacks and whites - as they hold the key. A grey has a known colour balance of equal amounts of red, green and blue (RGB). So if you look at a known grey and it looks wrong use a colour picker to show the RGB values and neutralise the colour back to grey. The other important thing is the image must be ‘correctly’ exposed before you look at its colour balance - so attend to this first.